Poll: Will Harry and Ruth get together by the end of the show?
I don't think so - a happy ending for them probably isn't in keeping with the show's philosophy.
Please yes - one happy ending won't being back all the others who didn't get one.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance?
21-09-2011, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2011 02:46 AM by beatrice4ruth.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance?
Please do not assume when you see my name that I am automatically going to defend H/R.

As I said in my previous posts, I do not believe that Elena is who she pretends to be because she lived in East Berlin as a Russian. In East Germany the population, whether German or foreigners, was closely tracked by the Stasi. To me it's incredible that nobody noticed that a British citizen was visiting a Russian or even a East German woman. Neighbors, parents, children, teachers, students, co-workers and so forth were monitoring and denouncing each other to the Stasi. The Stasi followed its citizens and any foreigner (me included).

I just watched 10.1 and noticed that the flashback of Elena, young Sascha and Harry took place in the compound of a fenced-off building, suspiciously looking like an embassy. You see young Sascha running through the gates of the embassy to join his mother. It must have been the British Embassy in East Berlin. To me it seems impossible that the Soviet or German authorities did not know about Elena and Harry. The HS made also a remark to Harry "I know that you and Gavrik were intertwined. Anything I should know?". Obviously the British government knew about the liaison.

East Germany and the Soviet Union were close allies during the Cold War. There might have been a reason why Elena was in East Berlin. I assume it was in East Berlin. I do not think she could have lived in West Berlin as a Russian. She might have been an innocent young woman when Harry and Jim Coates recruited her. The KGB was very powerful and I cannot believe that they did not know what Elena and Harry were up to. The KGB must have threatened her and turned her into a double agent.

I am even more suspicious of Elena because she married a high-ranking KGB officer and spouses were vetted. Even if Harry had stopped using her as an agent, the KGB would never have left her go during her marriage to Ilya. To me Ilya is even more suspicious because he became a millionaire when the Soviet Union collapsed. I cannot believe he did not know about his wife's past.

I am done with my historical analysis.

I know it's Spooks we are talking about and not a Le Carre movie. They have the right to take liberties with the historical facts for drama purpose. I accept that and will try to keep an open mind toward Elena.

Frankly, I would not have care one iota about Harry and Ruth if they had not been portrayed so powerfully and poignantly by PF and NW. Their story would have been no more no less interesting than that of Zoe, Tom, Danny and the rest of the agents.

I am not going to talk about that subject till the end of 10.6 where we hope we will find out the truth.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth: Back With A Vengeance? - beatrice4ruth - 21-09-2011 12:26 AM