Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Spoilers] Interview with S9 writers Sam Vincent & Jonathan Brackley
09-03-2011, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2011 02:49 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: [Spoilers] Interview with S9 writers Sam Vincent & Jonathan Brackley
(09-03-2011 05:29 AM)JHyde Wrote:  I just think that it didn't work with the character they chose. What they gave us is difficult to reconcile with the Lucas we had for 2 seasons prior to this turn around.

I would absolutely agree with this. Upon re-reading the article, I am not sure they had a choice of character. At the very least they had an extra challenge thrust upon them as what are in essence a couple of rather inexperienced writers, no disrespect intended. Ben Richards was inexperienced too but they didn't give the whole of a series to him. And his first episode was kind of clunky in my opinion. It seems to me that they knew from a very early stage that RA at least might be leaving. If they knew this when they were setting up the story arc, they would have known this waaaay back in late 2009 before they even started filming. They had no choice but to set the series up for both possibilities. If they did not know for certain whether or not they were going to have Lucas into S11 when they were setting up the series arc, that is quite a large question mark over S10. I am not trying to defend them or Kudos. I am just trying to say that maybe they were put in a very challenging position. They placed their bet, for some of us, myself included, it didn't pay off. Of course, one could equally argue that they had plenty of time to set it up much better than they did! lol!
(09-03-2011 07:00 AM)Naivety Wrote:  I think we have to remember that not all viewers have watched Spooks since the beginning and may just be casual first timers. Kudos has to increase 'market share' of the viewers. The Lucas storyline didn't make sense to us dedicated fans, but to someone watching for the first time or as a stand alone series, it must have seemed good, 'high octane hokum', to quote Peter Firth.

I just hope it hasn't backfired and lost them as many loyal fans as it gained them new ones!

I also think that this is a very good point from a Business Of The Business POV. I think they knew that with RA leaving (which they seemed to be aware of very early in the process), they were going to lose a segment of their viewers no matter what. But they cannot write the show to appease any specific fan base whether it be Lucas/RA, Harry/Ruth or Fidget/Scarlet! I think that is what they were saying when they said they knew that there would be some very devoted RA/Lucas fans that would want their heads on a stick.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Spoilers] Interview with S9 writers Sam Vincent & Jonathan Brackley - A Cousin - 09-03-2011 02:40 PM