Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 6.9 [Re-watch]
10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch]
AND - here I am, bringing up the rear...again.

Now this is what Spooks is supposed to be! I love this episode. Certainly my favorite of S6.

I love the direction - Alrick Riley does that voo-doo that he do so well, e.g. utilizing, but not over-using, all the Spooks filming techniques in the manner for which they are intended yet not over-whelming plot or character. For instance, he doesn't over-use the split screen and he uses it for the purpose for which it was created - to show two different sets of action at the same time. Throughout S6, the split screen is used to show the same action over and over again, sometimes in three or four screens. Its unsubtle and over-indulgent and drives me nuts about this series. The mood of Harry's safe-house is beautifully set in shadow and light. I love the way the "natural" light form the window plays on their faces. There is a great shot of Adam where he only the top half of his face is illuminated when he is convincing Harry to put aside his anger and fear. Do we think Harry is bluffing when he says, Do I look afraid?

While I would agree that Adam's betrayal is a bit naive of him, I think it is showing us how he is starting to lose his dedication a bit. Its not just about the loss of Ros, although that is the proverbial straw. He is not certain why he is doing this job anymore. He is trying to blow the whistle on the government, not Section D. I like that they let the cracks show in Adam the uber - Hero. I like that he screws it up. Its Bakshi that backs Blake (through Jason) into a corner re: the assassination of Section D. Blake has ulterior motives.

There is also a lot of great little character moments (thanks to Neil Cross) that make this a good episode. Everyone has a moment. Connie and the bombs (Unrelated moment: "Gin and tonic, Connie?" " A large one!" "Of course." lol! Love her!), Jo with Ben, etc. One of my personal favorites is Malcolm fussing about someone messing with his chair upon their return to the grid. It is such a great Malcolm moment.

While its cool that Hogan sort of kind of does something to help Section D out, I certainly don't get the feeling that it is completely altruistic. He sure is quick to hand that gun to Adam. It's an, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing.

(01-05-2011 03:19 PM)Silktie Wrote:  The Home Sec should have known better than cross swords with Harry. That final scene between them was fantastic. Possibly my favourite scene of the whole season. It really is amazing how forgiving Harry is of people plotting against him, as long as he can understand the bigger picture.

It really sets up future events as well. 20/20 hindsight being what it is, I wonder if Blake's desire to cut this deal is as much out of the desire to "make a difference" as it is to gain a lasting peace? That lasting peace is just a happy coincidence for him? I don't think Harry believes him for a moment.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 6.9 [Re-watch] - Silktie - 01-05-2011, 03:19 PM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch] - Kazters - 02-05-2011, 09:31 AM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch] - Silktie - 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch] - BAUER24 - 02-05-2011, 02:35 PM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch] - Kazters - 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch] - loladom - 04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch] - HellsBells - 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch] - A Cousin - 10-05-2011 02:06 PM