Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
7.4 [re-watch]
07-06-2011, 04:10 PM
RE: 7.4 [re-watch]
Written by Richard McBrien (his first outing with Spooks, also 8.5 and 9.3)
Directed by Peter Hoar (7.3 and 7.4 being his only outing on Spooks)

I was aware, but not hyper-aware, of some really interestingly pretty camera work in this episode, but cannot really give specific examples right now.

This episode, while holding my attention, feels like exposition to me somehow. I can't really put my finger on it.

General impressions:

Great chase sequence in the train station with Lucas at the beginning. That must have been very complicated and taken a long time to do.

One of the most truthful Spooks lines ever is in this episode: Harry's "We can never win the war on terror..." Too true.

Really like Paul Bhattacharjee as Khordad. He's one of those actors I see around a lot and always really like. He brongs such passion and conviction to Khordad. There is an elegance to him as an actor that makes Khordad's eye-for-an-eye POV *almost* understandable. If it weren't so fundamentally reprehensible. I do think it interesting that he keeps pointing out that "our" side is not faultless.

Khordad's line to Jo, "Let it get personal and it will devour your soul." Once again, another view re: the kind of people they can all turn into if they lose their humanity. Jo is certainly sliding down the slippery slope here, isn't she. Both Connie and Ben notice it and try to get her to get some help.

The ultimatum for Lucas is interesting. It is time for him to chose his side. Good boy to go straight to the Grid about it. Unfortunately, he chose Connie. But then they both take it to Harry and Ros. Quite resourceful of him to come up with the dummy bomb idea. Saves his ass as well.

Harry: What do you want!?!?!
Khordad: Respect.

Can't help but break into a little Aretha Franklin here. Wink R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Find out what it means to me!)

I must have blinked. How did they get the location of the bomb? From Khordad, correct? When they let him go against the CIA's wishes?

Funny moment with Lucas and Malcolm, "How long does a bomb take on full power?" Malcolm's brilliance shines through!

Harry's "New resident in the White House" was well timed. I wonder if they added the scene-lette afterwards? Not that it would have been difficult to know in April of 2008 that there would be a new resident in the White House by November. They must have known that this episode would air just a few days prior to the US presidential elections. Is that *hope* I hear in Harry's voice? Wink

Jane Perry as Laurie Werner was good. If she isn't American, she had the right accent and attitude. Did anyone else sense a bit of, erm, chemistry, between her and PF? I remember the first time I watched this episode, I thought she might hang around longer.

And to end, we have Harry trying to flush Connie out based on the info from Qualtrough. Connie has been very much in the background thus far.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
7.4 [re-watch] - JHyde - 05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
RE: 7.4 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 07-06-2011 04:10 PM
RE: 7.4 [re-watch] - Silktie - 10-06-2011, 05:24 PM
RE: 7.4 [re-watch] - Silktie - 28-01-2012, 04:46 AM