Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
7.8 [re-watch]
12-07-2011, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 02:23 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: 7.8 [re-watch]
Another great episode, I think, and a great cliff hanger. If only for the following reason: Tiresias. One of the things I love about Spooks is that I learn something new or make a new connection during re-watches.

So, I am probably the last person to this party, but "Tiresias" is loaded with symbolism and significance. Much more than Sugarhorse. (Drinks in Harry's office - as MR joked in the DVD extras.Wink) I had thoughts running around my brain about The Sleeper and Connie being the manifestations of the Tiresias network. I am vaguely familiar with the Tiresias myth from Sophocles' plays Oedipus Rex and Antigone. Less so from his appearance in Homer's Odyssey.

Anyhoo, for anyone bringing up the rear with me, it aaaalll started with that oh, so very significant bottle of water that The Sleeper drinks (in slow motion, mind you) sitting on the bench. This rang a very vague bell in my head re: the Tiresias myth. I'll just lay it out there and hope I'm not making connections that aren't there. I'll try to stick to the myth only as it pertains to 7.8.

Tiresias was the son of a shepherd and a nymph and made a soothsayer of Apollo by Athena, Zeus or Apollo himself - depending on the version you are reading. The story goes that, coming upon two copulating snakes (Britain & the US?) he struck them with his staff and killed the female. This pisses Hera off who immediately turns him into a woman (in essence emasculating himself). He lived as a (very successful) prostitute for 7 years. (The Sleeper lives in deep cover as something he not, "selling" himself as believer in the ideals of the West?) After the seven years, goes back and strikes the same male snake, killing it and transforming back into a male himself.

Then he is blinded and made a prophet due to it but I won't go into that. There are many versions as to how this happened, but I have not divined as much significance re: 7.8 from them.

After an extremely and unusually long life as a prophet of Apollo, he dies after drinking from a poisoned spring. (Thus the very significant chug on the bottle of water.) As Sophocles tells it, Tiresias was visited by Apollo and warned of his own death after drinking from a forbidden spring after which Apollo was going to shoot him with his arrow. (The Sleeper drinks the water and the next thing you know he has been shot between the eyes by Sarkisian's man.)

But, wait, that's not all! As I was watching, I made a note to myself that says "Tiresias - underground?" Moving to Homer and Connie's very flippant and quick explanation of Tiresias as the prophet who is doomed to look backwards for all eternity, Tiresias meets Odysseus in the underworld (Tube tunnels?) and warns him about many things most of which Odysseus pays no attention to. To his great detriment.

So, yeah, a bit of a twig for me. Sorry if I am dredging up something everyone else has already figured out. Feel free to add or correct. I am fascinated by this idea!

Other general thoughts about this episode:

- Lucas is absolutely epically BRILLIANT in this episode. He really has his mojo working!
- Holding my breath during Connie's bomb diffusing scene. Again.
- Ros and Connie "You hate me because you are looking in a mirror" scene is just fabulous!
- The look on Harry's face when Lucas convinces him to leave them and return to the Grid is wrenching. He really wants to help and protect them.
- Why is Lucas reading the microfiche with a magnifying glass? I guess Ruth never did return that Reader in 5.3? Wink
- At least the Russians were helpful enough to give the team a good solid dead-line. 3pm. Very helpful.
- Shifty CIA chick. What's a Spooks without a shifty CIA person?
- Portable nuclear bombs? Really? I'll have to check that one out.
- Malcolm all but begging Harry to come back is heartbreaking. Love how they play it off flippantly. Good black humour.
- The Sleeper - no lines. In fact the only sound he makes is the Star Spangled Banana (sic. pardon my pun.Wink) on the piano. Nice touch.
- Do I believe Connie re: selling Lucas out? Do you?
- Shocked that by the end of this series I feel like I have experienced 2 or 3 series. So much has happened! It holds together so very well. Still my favorite series.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
7.8 [re-watch] - JHyde - 11-07-2011, 01:49 AM
RE: 7.8 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 12-07-2011 02:17 PM
RE: 7.8 [re-watch] - Tea Lady - 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
RE: 7.8 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 13-07-2011, 01:39 PM
RE: 7.8 [re-watch] - lottanyman - 13-07-2011, 08:14 PM
RE: 7.8 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 14-07-2011, 01:15 PM
RE: 7.8 [re-watch] - beatrice4ruth - 14-07-2011, 02:03 PM
RE: 7.8 [re-watch] - A Cousin - 14-07-2011, 03:25 PM