Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion
23-09-2011, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2011 12:54 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion
(22-09-2011 07:31 PM)Callahan Wrote:  Excellent show but I've got to be honest and say that the directing isn't quite what it used to be. The subtle touches seem to be missing now and the closing surprise was nothing that wasn't expected mid way through the show.

Hi, callahan! Welcome to the Forum.

Niceties aside, Smile I respectfully disagree. I think I am in the minority, but I will make no excuses for the fact that I like Alrick Riley's work - "shake-y" cam and all. Not that I saw much of that at all. To begin with, the reveal re: Sasha's paternity is a writers choice, not a directorial choice. I do agree that it was a bit predictable. That said, for me, the direction (and acting) of that particular scene was nothing less than brilliant. Riley pointed the camera at their faces and let them do their job. No fuss. No muss. No frills. It was a very naked bit of dialogue with very naked filming. To me, that's subtlety in directing.

I don't think the subtle filming touches are missing, I just think they are different. The more I watch it the more I think the style chosen for this particular episode was intentional. It is certainly a different mood and pace than any series we have seen thus far. The filming of this episode reminds me a lot of Film Noir: low camera angles, abrupt editing, blacks/white/gray scale, shadow and light, distortion, lots of intimate locations, etc. I esp. see it in the scene where Harry breaks into Max Witt's apartment. Even Ruth has the "Gal Friday" kind of feel to her this series.

I could be completely off base here and Kudos, Mr. Riley (or his agent) and the BBC may be laughing their asses off at me right now (Thanks for the last 10 years! Cool ), but I wonder.... I wonder.... We'll see if it continues into the next episode and beyond.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Series 10 Episode 1 discussion - almh - 18-09-2011, 09:08 PM
RE: Series 10 Episode 1 discussion - JHyde - 19-09-2011, 07:24 AM
RE: Series 10 Episode 1 discussion - neuro - 19-09-2011, 10:22 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 1 Discussion - A Cousin - 23-09-2011 12:36 PM