Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion
01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion
Having just re-watched this episode (my personal favourite of the series) and listened to the interview with PF and NW on the dvd, I noticed what I think may have been a late change/inclusion to the script and wondered what others thought.

During the interview NW says something along the lines of that Ruth thought she was special to Harry and suddenly realises she's just another asset. The scene in 10.5 that makes you think that could be true is the scene betwen Harry and Ruth in the car, in particular the end of the scene where Harry asks Ruth to retrieve the lap-top from the American Embassy. I've always thought that the later conversation they have after Ruth has got the laptop and Harry is driving was changed as you hardly see either of them speak their sentences, the camera view is mainly from different angles.

I'm wondering if the interview was done prior to some of this filming and when that when the iv was watched back by the Producers/Writers etc they realised that they'd gone too far in what had been written and didn't want it interpreted that Harry thought of Ruth purely as an asset. Therefore they changed the second conversation after watching the initial previews of 10.5 to include Harry reassuring Ruth that she wasn't an asset and that he wasn't known for his tact after she asks him whether what he feels for her is just guilt! I think the Producers and writers may have wanted to keep up the sense of 'angst and seperation' between the 2 characters so much before 10.6, that they went a little too far and only realised this when they saw the initial previews!

I hope this makes sense as I struggled to get my thoughts down clearly on this but would be interested in hearing if anyone has had the same thoughts, or if I'm reading way to much into it or have gone completely mad!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - Nitrus - 16-10-2011, 07:27 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 5 Discussion - Sparky - 01-02-2012 08:11 AM