Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
23-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Ruth RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
Hopefully I can stop stop crying long enough to comment.

First off, thanks to my hubby taking control of the kids to give me space to watch the entire series 10 today. I warned him that I would be crying a lot and I wasn't wrong. I feel like I've lost my best friend - not just Ruth but the entire series.

About the episode:

Calum, I wasn't a fan of yours when you started but I adore you now. You were given the best lines. "Bad people want to kill us." If that doesn't sum up Spooks, I don't knoiw what does.

I wasn't surprised when it was revealed that Elena was the instigator, though I was a bit surprised that she was primed for her role before Harry contacted her.

I did love that Harry spent much of the episode with no tie and an open shirt. Thank you to whomever made that decision (Looking back, I needed something to make me smile during this.)

Harry seemed very worried when Elena asked Ruth if she now saw him differently after learning that he faked the file on Elena's parent's death. Ruth's response was, "Yes, I see he's given more than I thought possible." Harry seemed to be touched by that, that Ruth wasn't going to run from him because of that. Smile.

Loved that Ruth took Elena to task for using Sasha in her ploy against Harry.

The writers actually made me feel bad for Ilya - congrats on that because I didn't think that would happen. Smile

Nicola was so freaking brilliant in this episode, probably because she knew she'd be dead by the end. I shouldn't say that because Nicola has always given a top-notch performance as Ruth. Thank you to her for that.

SRB has been brillant as Towers - funny lines that I can't remember now but always delieverd just right. Is it just me or did he lose the fireplace that was in his office in Series 9?

As soon as Ilya asked to speak with Ruth alone, I knew he was planning to kill Elena. Not the least bit upset about it, except for the fact that it led to Ruth's death at the hands of Sasha, though I do believe Sasha was planning to attack Harry. I do think that Harry knew what was going on when Ruth asked for the key, so he may also feel quite quilty about that as well.

Even though Sasha was the one to kill Ruth, I do feel badly for him. He and Elena were obviously quite close, and to learn of her deception and lies was very difficult. I am glad that Sasha turned out to be Ilya's son, because had Ruth died at the hands of Harry's son, it would have been too much for Harry I think. The emotion that PF showed at Ruth's death was absolutely heartbreaking (well done, PF!)

I'd totally forgotten about Tom appearing in the episode, but that's a testiment to the writing that it could make me forget. Too bad we didn't see more of him or even a meeting between Harry and Tom, but I know there are a number of very talented Fanfic writers that will do that justice. I'd love to think that Tom would be quite willing to help avenge Ruth's death.

When Harry arrived at the house with the green door, the tears were back on full throttle.

I still didn't see Tariq's name on the wall, but it was nice to see everyone elses. Was Helen's name on the wall? I thought it started with Danny.

Seriously, there is a part of me that knows this is the best way to end Spooks, but there is a much bigger part of me that is really really pissed that Harry and Ruth never got their time together. Not even one measly "I Love You" between the two. Of course, I fully expected Ruth's voice to be on the other end of the phone call that Harrty received at the end of the ep. I guess since we never heard that I can still believe she didn't die and it was her at the end.

I think what I'd like to see now is an interview with PF and NW (whether separate or together) about the ending now that they can discuss and be honest about it. They had to be cryptic about it before it aired - obviously - but now I want their real thoughts. I guess RPJ wasn't kidding when he said there was a death and it was so sad.

The funny part for me is that in real life I'm a realist/pesimist. I'd rather think the worst will happen and be pleasant surprised at the end, rather than hope for the best and be disappointed. For some reason, with Spooks, I took the opptomist route and was holding out for a happy ending. It's been an hour and I'm still red-faced from crying and in denial about Ruth's death. I'll be fine in a few days - able to discuss this with rationality. But right now, I have one glass of wine to finish and a few tears left to cry. On the whole, I thought the episode was so very well done. I kept me on the edge of my seat even without being all out action sequences.

Zaf: "Shouldn't you be in prison or something?"
Ros: "This is the something."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - SweetTea - 23-10-2011 11:35 PM