Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
24-10-2011, 04:55 AM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
(24-10-2011 01:53 AM)Agent Acme Wrote:  
(24-10-2011 01:34 AM)loladom Wrote:  
(23-10-2011 09:35 PM)Tea Lady Wrote:  No words really. It could have worked. A happy ending.

I will never get over the fact Harry Pearce is left to spend the rest of his life alone. He never did catch "that break."

I should stop writing now as I will say something I may regret in a day or two. At this moment though, being a fan of ten years, I feel let down by the ending. IMO it was not the right ending. Not at all.

I don't have words for the amazing scenes in this episode that have been pushed away due to the ending.

A question though, to support my disappointment - how is this the promised 'definitive' ending? Harry alone, back at work to carry on? Hell, another series is more than possible. A definitive ending would have been Harry dead, in exile or leaving the service. Not left to carry on heartbroken to retirement. He's done that before. So, (my feelings about Ruth aside) just HOW is it a definitive ending?

There's no perfection in this ending at all. Kudos weren't brave enough to either go for Harry or to let it end on a happy note, even the last few seconds.

A brilliant episode, but spoilt by the ending. If you want to use shock and awe, then learn how to utilise it. Suppose I'm too angry right now, so better avoid twitter and this series writer's bragging.

I couldn't agree more, there are still so many loose ends:

Harry was only back temporarily...Albany enquiry still hangs over him. So are we meant to believe because Ruth is dead, it no longer matters?
The Americans have suddenly had a change of heart, and forgive him for Jim Coaver's death?

The only definitive thing the writers have ended is the wonder, beauty and sometimes painful relationship, non-relationship that was Ruth and Harry! Thcussing

I suspect that Harry or the HS was able to provide evidence of some sort that the Russians were behind the death of Coaver.

As for the Albany Inquiry, I believe there are still folks within the upper echelons of Whitehall that would love for nothing better than to hang Harry out to dry, but at the same time, I think it might be a matter of the 'devil' they know (Harry) is better than that they don't know...Harry has lines he won't cross (such as not shooting Sasha in that room even though he was trying to get Elena to talk). Elena on the other hand was more than willing to sacrifice her son for keeping her loyalties to her 'country'.

Harry, and possibly the HS, doesn't entirely trust the JIC and whomever they might choose to put in charge of Section D - I don't pretend to think that they would leave Erin Watts in charge on a permanent basis. After the end of this ep, it seemed evident that the HS nor the team actually expected Harry to be back - not because of Albany, but because of his grief over Ruth's death. They knew that he loved her (even though no one - other than Elena - actually spoke it aloud).

Even though I was gutted at the end of the episode, I do have to admit the episode was very well written. Lots of twists and turns. Up until Sasha stabbed Ruth, I actually felt sorry for him. In a very short span of time, he's learned that his mother was an MI-5 asset, that Harry was his father, and then his whole world was turned upside down again. He's not sure who he really is.

The episode had some really great stuff that had me on edge, and with a lump in my throat.

I love that as much as Harry wanted to, he couldn't stay in the house that Ruth had been looking at, without her.

Peter Firth & Nicola Walker - absolutely fabulous.

Harry: "My God, Ruth. Is any institution safe from you?"
Ruth: "I like to think not."
-------------
Ceridwyn2
Celtic-Dragon's Blog
Ceridwyn2's Twitter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Ceridwyn2 - 24-10-2011 04:55 AM