Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
24-10-2011, 08:53 AM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
(24-10-2011 06:15 AM)Nitrus Wrote:  I've read people claiming that Spooks lost a lot of its audience last night because it wasn't a happy ending and no doubt the HR crowd are all crushed. All I will say to those people is this, if you honestly expected Harry and Ruth to have a happy ending or even Harry to leave just because Ruth died, then you've been watching the wrong show for 9 years and you shouldn't call yourself a fan.

I have to respectively disagree with you there Nitrus. Just because you wanted a different ending, you are still a fan. I know, because that person is me.

I totally get it was classic Spooks. The twists and turns, the double crossing, the attack on Britain. The life or death choices. All brilliant. PF, NW, and SRB were all sublime.

I just don't see how choosing an ending that was almost the same and as tragic (if not more,) as most other series of Spooks, is ending the show on a high. It ended like all the other series have. Why didn't they do something different and give our hero some peace? Peace doesn't have to mean marrying Ruth.

And as for Ruth, her life and death was more tragic than any of the other Spooks on that memorial wall, yet she deserved more for her loyalty and service. She died believing she never deserved happiness. The saddest life and death of all.

Not all of us who didn't like the ending, wanted the "Ruth on a unicorn" Sam Vincent talked about. That is a small majority.

There were a thousand other choices as to how to end the series. IMO the writers chose the most cruel, which only makes good TV for the few. I feel it would have been less cruel to have even killed Harry and have left Ruth in her new house. Harry and Ruth could have decided never to get together. The series ends with them all back on the Grid. There were loads of choices. Just because you wanted one of these, and dreamt about one of these endings for years, still makes you a fan. If we all got the same things from Spooks, and wanted the same from Spooks, life would have been pretty boring on this forum over the last two years.

The character Harry Pearce deserved more for all he gave. The character Ruth Evershed, deserved to live. As simple as that.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Tea Lady - 24-10-2011 08:53 AM