Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
24-10-2011, 11:02 AM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
We are all going to have different opinions regarding Harry and Ruth, but I agree that it would have betrayed what the show has been all about if they both got together at the end and lived in the house with the green door. Their partnership together has always been like a fairytale. It would be perfect if it ever happened, but the point was it was never going to...it was always a relationship that was always going 'to be left unsaid'. To me, the ending was just pure perfection.

Harry's life has always been dedicated to serving his country and that's what has defined him as a character for all these years. He's a true professional who hides his personal feelings to do the best job he can do. Tragedy after tragedy, Harry comes back up fighting to serve his country and in the final ever episode, he had to deal with the biggest tragedy of them all (losing Ruth) but that final scene shown him regaining his strength and maintaining his identity (that of a true professional) and that final phrase 'Harry Pearce' emphasised that he had not lost his sense of self and he still has that identity - that he'll do anything to serve his country (no matter what he loses). It was also an acknowledgment by Harry, that this job never has a happy ending. I think looking at that memorial wall really emphasised that.

You could argue that Tom and Zoe had 'happy endings' but just because they didn't die, doesn't mean their endings were happy ones. They had to leave everything behind that they ever knew and enter a world that they just weren't familiar with.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - The Grid - 24-10-2011 11:02 AM