Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
24-10-2011, 03:42 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
(24-10-2011 02:07 PM)Gazelle Wrote:  I'm on here early as I only had a half day at work today, which is just as well as I was only half there anyway. I agree totally with your sentiments, I'm still really disappointed by the ending, I have to admit at the moment this hurts more than TV should.

I'm also disappointed by how wrong all the hints that have been dropped by some people along the way have proven to be - from Jane Featherstone's interview on Breakfast when it was announced that this would be the last series to comments by the actors even. I'm sorry but I can't see how anyone could class this as a good ending or even the right ending - it's so not.

Not only are the circumstances in which Ruth dies so heartbreaking (when she and Harry are so close to seeing their way out of years of missed chances and obstacles), but Harry's left mired in more misery than ever before although somehow clinging onto his job (what's happened to the Albany enquiry and the CIA extradition?)

Part of the reason I feel this is so unfair to fans is that Harry and Ruth have been the one constant in recent years that had not only added something really special to Spooks but even allowed many of us to overlook the glaring shortcomings and far-fetched plot in S9. I now understand all the better how dismayed fans of Richard Armitage were last year at the way Lucas was dealt with, for me it didn't matter so much as it was Ruth and Harry that had come to define Spooks. Now it's my turn (and many others') to feel the let down and disappointment that it seems Spooks writers revel in dishing out.

For me this ending will forever be a missed opportunity.

Gazelle, I agree - although seems we are in a minority. I'm planning on watching the repeat tonight and see if I still think the same afterwards. It's not only the ending that seriously disappointed me. I was really very disappointed with the plot resolution. As someone else said it seemed very weak to me. I think actually the members of this forum came up with storylines that were much better in the rumours thread. For me it was not a definitive ending as there were still many loose ends - we never heard anymore about albany, nightingale, many of the characters that we never heard from again and never knew what happened to. I'm not saying everything should always be resolved but I just think too much was left hanging personally. I think the plot was completely predictable, I kept saying this can't be it, there must be some other revelation other than 'Elena did it.

For me this had none of the many twists and turns of earlier series - the episode about the Diana assassination, or Sugarhorse for example. I thought the writers very weak in the last episode. I personally also think Tom could have been used much better. I still personally think the ending was actually too predictable because spooks became known for doing this, therefore, to actually not kill either ruth or harry off, but say Tom for example would imo have been much more surprising. Or not kill anyone off at all and do a different ending. I disagree that this would have been betraying the series - it would have been doing something totally different than everyone expected and confounding us all again! To me, that has always been the true nature of spooks.

I thought H & R deserved a happy ending because I feel they both naturally progressed through the series (especially Harry), from being emotionally closed/dead to moving past that and coming together at the end. I would not have wanted a sentimental wedding or other mushy type scene - correct to say that was never spooks. I do believe it could have been hinted at. Having said all that, I do acknowledge that in dramatic terms, a tragic ending will always be more stunning than a happy one, and both PF and NW had me crying buckets last night. I hope that they finally get a BAFTA or something for their performances. I just did come away with the feeling of 'was that it?' over the whole 60 mins. Just my view.

"Perhaps the selfsame song that found a path
Through the sad heart of Ruth, when, sick for home,
She stood in tears amid the alien corn...."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Scarlet - 24-10-2011 03:42 PM