Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
24-10-2011, 06:51 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
(24-10-2011 05:37 PM)Naivety Wrote:  Well its taken this long to feel I can write a coherent post. Like a lot of others I was hurt that we did not get a happy ending, I should have known better to expect it really, at my age!

Having said that, as I have spent the past ten series prepared to accept whatever the writers threw at us, I must do the same now and concentrate on the amazing acting, the wonderful script and the direction and film craft.

Ruth's death scene was supreme TV drama, written for an audience who is braver and more intelligent. As soon as Sasha picked up that piece of glass, you could see what was coming. I'm so glad we got the final Harry and Ruth scene, even though I could see it was going to be short lived. Harry's face when he knew Ruth wasn't going to make it, I shall never forget. The hand covered in blood that he just didn't know what to do with, dear God! Sooo realistic! Harry sobbing in front of Erin and Callum (he turned out to be a sensitive soul didn't he).

The part when Harry went to view the house was heartbreaking, and also Towers speech to him on the way back in the car. The scene at the memorial was also very very moving. I couldn't help thinking at the end, of Ruth's line in 8.1: 'we couldn't be more together than we are right now'. Harry decided that he would rather be where her name was on that memorial, than anywhere else.

I hear your point of view Nitrus, I truly do, and I have loved Spooks from start to finish, just like you, but I also understand A Cousin and Tea Lady and a lot of the others on here. A happier ending would have made the loss of Spooks in itself less of a bereavement, which is what it feels like to me at the moment.

A nicely written post, I share your sentiments and will try like you to accept what was thrown at us. Those final 10 minutes made such a powerful impact though it's not going to be easy. For once it might have been easier if NW and PF weren't such amazing actors.

I've been thinking too of that line Jim Coaver said to Harry when he'd been kidnapped, that he didn't blame himself for lying to Elena as that's what they do, but the cardinal sin was for Harry to fall in love with her. Similarly I think that's why those of us who are disappointed by the ending feel so hurt - we'd let outselves really feel for Harry and Ruth, heart more than head. Which again comes down to the acting.

Can't go on, must go on
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Gazelle - 24-10-2011 06:51 PM