Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
24-10-2011, 08:33 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
From the start, because of my own history, I knew that Elena was a double agent and it was not long before I realized that Sasha was not Harry’s son and worse of all that HARRY HAD BEEN FOOLED FOR 30 YEARS. Elena said it best: “sweet, naïve Harry”, which I had not dare say myself on this forum. I knew that there was no way that the KGB had not noticed the affair between Harry and Elena.

But I must admit that I was astonished that Ilya did not realize that Elena had been recruited by his own agency to seduce Harry. I was sure that he had to be an accomplice of Elena. I felt so sorry for Ilya and Sasha to hear Elena’s terrible revelations. Ruth was right: Elena was a fanatic ready to sacrifice her adored son, which to me is totally horrifying. I really felt for Ilya, who had to kill his wife and whose son was killed by Section D. Elena must be the worst Spooks villain. The acting of JH, AK and TWJ was compelling.

I am surprised how Kudos has tarnished Harry’s image in the last two series. I suppose we should be grateful that they did not turn him into a traitor. I do understand why Harry, as a young intelligence officer, had been tricked by Elena. What I do not understand why Harry, as a Head of Section, had not realized as soon as he saw that Elena had always been a Russian agent. I hate to say it, but two women were better spies than Harry: Elena and Ruth. Ruth was right to tell Harry that his judgment was clouded by his guilt. How many times did Ruth challenge Harry’s judgment and he did not listen? She was right again (I bet to many fans’ annoyance) when she told Harry that there was no bomb on the plane and Elena was tricking him one last time.

As you know, I love Ruth and her death broke my heart. But I do understand why Kudos decided to kill her. To protect the realm Harry, however damaged he was, was supposed to go on and on even after suffering his greatest loss. In fact, I knew that Ruth was going to die months ago thanks to Twitter. The happiness of Harry when Ruth asked him to share together their retirement in her dream home was so heart breaking. I am glad that at least Harry and Ruth admitted their love (though I am still waiting for the word itself and kissing a dead Ruth is not quite the same as kissing a living Ruth) at the end. I am also happy that they were together when Ruth died. I hope for Harry that at least his children will surround him at his death.

A worse outcome for me would have been the break-up of their relationship or one of them turned out to be a traitor (how many times have I heard the whisper that Ruth might be a traitor).

After watching so many boring sex scenes of the younger spooks generation (Adam and Anna come to mind), I do not understand why Harry and Ruth were not allowed some happiness before her death. I will not forgive Kudos for that. Why was it so difficult for Kudos to offer us a beautiful story of a married Harry and Ruth, like Silktie’s “Blood, Sand and Tears.” I am afraid that it was too grown-up for Kudos.

I truly feel sorry for Harry. He lost the love of his life, who was a kid when he made his fatal mistake of trusting Elena. He lost Ruth twice because of his shortcomings and the second time will be even more traumatic for him. He will not be allowed the luxury of dreaming about the return of Ruth. Both the tour of Ruth’s dream home and the memorial were heart-wrenching. But I found the scene of Harry wearing a black and white tie in mourning in his office even more poignant. Will he be able to function as a Head of Section if he is so broken by the death of Ruth, who was the love of his life, his soul mate, his confident and his most ardent supporter? I just hope that he will find some solace with his real children, at least Catherine, and perhaps mend his relationship with Graham.

In fact, I liked the episode. It was fast-pacing and exciting. Finally, the whole series made sense. I was still waiting for the impersonator plot, but I had to put up just with Elena. It is a pity. I was really looking forward to a corrupt high-ranking British intelligence officer, if possible Oliver Mace.

I do not understand why Kudos has flaunted the ending as clear-cut. Some fans are already hoping that Spooks will go on, perhaps in another shape, with Harry and Tom! Kudos can expect another round of letters requesting the return of Spooks in 2012.

I will miss Spooks, its storylines and the fabulous acting of all. PF and NW have touched me very much and I am thankful for the great joy they gave me. I also want to thank the whole Spooks cast, the crew and the writers for the lovely hours of entertainment they gave me over the years. Spooks was really British TV at its best!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - beatrice4ruth - 24-10-2011 08:33 PM