Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
25-10-2011, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2011 10:03 AM by JHyde.)
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
OK, so I am finally back to actually talk about the episode. I've also chatted with my sister, who finally caught up with Spooks after abandoning season 9, which we both hated (mostly). She also loved the ending.

I think I need to watch this episode again because there's some stuff I missed and I actually misinterpreted a few things. I do wonder why no one noticed the missing flight attendant, how Harry managed to get away scot free at the end (I'm guessing Ilya and the HS managed to place the blame on Elena's lot) and how Ilya explained the death of his wife.

But these things aside, it was a magnificent finale. All actors did great and Bharat Nalluri continued his very stylish work - he always knows how to make something interesting or moving. In conjunction with the DP, the lighting and production on this episode was just beautiful, especially in the 'glass and rain scene', as my sister and I are calling it.

Someone earlier on the thread said that it was obvious it was written by two men and that this showed in really negative ways, especially with Ruth's death scene. I disagree with this. I have made criticisms about the work of Vincent and Brackley in the past and I stand by those, but this episode was wonderful and I do not think it was 'obviously written by two guys'. There was subtlety and all good things. I am especially fond of Ruth's line about not being part of an audience - flawless. One of my favourite lines in the whole show.

This brings me neatly to Ruth. She has been my favourite character across the whole show and I wept when she died. I cannot believe that anyone would believe Elena's remark about her not being good with people. She was kind and loving to the last and given that I have spent a lot of time pretending to be in Ruth's head (thanks to the Ruth's Diary project) it felt like a very personal loss.

I loved that in this, the last episode, Harry and Ruth were a team. It was Ruth who saw the flaw in the scenario and Harry who proved it for sure. They have been a formidable pairing and I liked that this was evident at the last.

It is true that once Sascha picked up the glass it was obvious what was coming next but I managed to block that and just enjoy the next few minutes while Ruth said her piece. A lot of people are angry because they didn't get their 'moments of happiness'. I think they had that. Ruth said what she needed to say and Harry smiled his assent. Ruth's heartbreaking final few moments essentially summarise why she had to die, as she put it, they were not lives she and Harry were meant to have. This is the flip side to Callum's statement at the end, that 'bad people want to kill us'. Between the two of them they got the show's fundamental message neatly expressed.

I agree that it was right to have Harry alone at the end. It has always been much more poignant to have him being the one who survived while all these young things died heroically. He has been stoic in his service and it is also how he copes. His return to the Grid was the only option for him. I don't think he ever intended to buy the house - he just wanted to see it.

Essentially I was very happy with the ending. I do understand why people are upset, but I believe strongly that a happy ending would have felt false. In fact, I voted against it on the poll I posed on the HR thread months ago. I will miss the show terribly but I am glad that the show has ended so well, for lack of a better phrasing.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 25-10-2011 09:52 AM