Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
26-10-2011, 05:26 AM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
I've been mulling around this forum for months now and it's been very interesting indeed. I've actually just recently joined because I wanted to comment on this very last episode, however, unlike the majority of fans here, I'm relatively a newbie; a junior recruit as one might put it. My interest in Spooks didn't quite start at the very beginning. In fact, I've only really been aware of it for just over a year (I live stateside, you see), so when I accidentally found out about it and saw it, I was hooked.

It was not until last night when I finally saw the episode in full; without interruptions and I must say that I'm one to join the camp of the predominantly positive. I thought that the series' main story arc was given the closure it needed and that this episode saw some of the best acting I've seen on television. Did I like it? I would say yes, but with sadness.

Series 10 was said to be about Harry, and in this series, we learned more about him personally and professionally that we've ever had. We saw how much more vulnerable he's become because of all the guilt he's been carrying (personally and professionally). We got revelation, after revelation about the history Harry has with the Gavriks and credit to the writers because I think that they tidied that up well. I've suspected since 10.2 and confirmed my hunch after 10.5 that Elena was the primary instigator, however, I must admit that I didn't expect her to be the "better spy". The revelation that Harry was duped didn't make me think less of his character (I read on some that there were comparisons to Lucas' character from series 9). Instead, IMO, it makes him more relatable; more human. Harry, was and always will be a spy first, therefore I found it fitting that despite the devastating loss of Ruth, he couldn't force himself to retire. He went back to work because that's what's all he has left (sadly). As for his and Ruth's relationship, of course I'm devastated they never got the break they deserved, but in reality, they both knew it wouldn't work out. Ruth said it last series when she explained that they couldn't be more together than they already are. They compliment each other professionally more than any other team introduced to us on the Grid, however, personally it's always been a struggle because they both know, deep down, in their chosen line of work, sacrifices are necessary. The H/R moments we had in this series is about as honest as we've seen between their two characters and even though we didn't get the romping and snogging we've grown accustomed to seeing among the younger spooks, it was, to some extent more than we could have ever asked for. Both admitted, not only to each other, but to trusted people as well, how much they mean to each other and that for them, is a major step in their relationship. I'd like to think that the 8 weeks forced leave Harry had prior to the inquiry had plenty of private moments with Ruth, which would probably explain why they were so comfortable with each other on 10.1, so for your guys out there still wishing for some sort of redemption for our hero, consider that thought.

Now, I saw the episode first (in two parts) and my initial reaction is similar to what most of you have already expressed: shocked and gutted, particularly over the last 10 mins of the show. I don't recall feeling like that about anything on telly which is a testament to how great the writing, directing, and especially acting in this penultimate episode was. PF deserved the top billing here--the last 10 mins of show was all him. I think he only had a handful of dialogue and then it was just facial expressions, all of which were absolutely incredible. You can feel for the depth of his despair, guilt, and lost. Right up there with PF is NW. Her portrayal of Ruth's final scenes were so poignant as well as the little bits of smiles here and there (observed her face when she knew Harry arrived at the bunker) which is a testament to her versatility as an actress. Special mention to JH, AK, and TWJ. They were the right trio to portray the family of a Russian oligarch (kudos to the camera director on one slow shot with the trio where Ilya was inside with Elena and with Sacha on the foreground; we see the facial feature similarities JH and TWJ have). From JH's emotionless face while hearing the truth about his wife and while interrogating her, to the way he conveyed meaning in his dialogues was as good as it could get. AK, she was the absolute villain, prob one of the best ones introduced in the entire series. She played that magnificently IMO. TWJ, I know some had reservations about his character, but I think his character development got better and better as the series went along. It reached its pinnacle here and credit to Tom, because he came up with the goods. One of my fave scenes is between him and Harry when he received the phone call from Ilya and the way he hesitated. I thought that was brilliant. The rest of the supporting cast, RSB, LP, MB, and GB, each had their bits here. The HS was my fave of them all. Loved his unconventional descriptions and his tense moments inside COBRA.

Lastly, the cameo of MF as Tom was just the right amount to me. The shot of his brown shoes, the trademark long coat, the camera panning to his face wherein he had the smallest of dialogue but conveying so much was a good way to start wrapping up the series. It was the best introduction to the "raining wall" (symbolism for tears shed over the years) to all the characters we've loved and lost.

Shout out to the writers, of course--without their witty dialogues and gripping story lines, our actors will be lost and the characters we know and have grown to love wouldn't have existed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Jax9010 - 26-10-2011 05:26 AM