Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
28-10-2011, 04:25 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
(28-10-2011 03:18 PM)Gillymac Wrote:  Additionally, I don't interpret it as "sad". There is tragedy in Ruth's death most certainly, but in the scenes leading up to her death we see Ruth forgive Harry, thus enabling him to forgive himself regarding the Elena mess. We see her offer him a way out if he wants it. However there is an important caveat to her offer. She says; "leave the service - WITH ME". Implicit in this of course is that she wouldn't want him to leave without her. So he honours her wishes after her death. Importantly, he does so with a clear concience. With her final words, she absolves him of any guilt he feels towards her. Someone on twitter called her "Ruth the Truth"- how appropriate. She says; "Harry, we were never meant to have any of those things." And they both know that's the truth.

Harry avenges her, pays tribute to her (and her fallen colleagues), then does what she would want him to do and go back to work. Those final seconds, while the phone rings, the look of doubt in his eyes, replaced with the ever familiar steely determination as he snatches up the receiver - Masterly, imperious, playing by Peter Firth. I'm in no doubt that Harry comes through his grief a stronger, better Section Chief, and I sleep soundly in my bed knowing that he is in charge.

I agree with you! Previously, I found the ending was too sad. Because it looked to me Harry returned to The Grid/The Service as he did not have anywhere else to go. It was heartbreaking thought, especially after seeing his agonising face during Ilya's "a tortoise in the garden" speech. I thought he completely lost life outside of the service.
But after a while, I came to think he went back to The Grid with firm determination because that's where he should be. After all, spirits of Ruth and colleagues who lost their lives in the past are all there, and now his entire life too.

So do you think Harry once accepted Ruth's offer, leaving the service with her? I thought he did as he smiled to her. (I loved that smile, by the way...)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Blackcoat - 28-10-2011 04:25 PM