Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
29-10-2011, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2011 07:49 AM by Silktie.)
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
(29-10-2011 03:22 AM)A Cousin Wrote:  For me it comes down to whether or not creators did what they said they were going to do. I keep reminding myself that the episode did not end with Ruth dying. It ended with Harry deciding to return to work. I did not feel like Harry was left a broken and desolate leader. That would mean that he has learned nothing from the action of series and would most certainly not honour Ruth's memory in his mind or mine. I actually thought quite the opposite, as you list above. This is completely my fantasy, because I do like to indulge fantasy when it comes to Harry and Ruth, but I like to think that she is always whispering in his ear challenging his decisions. I like to think that he would always ask himself, What would Ruth think/do? Moreover, he knows exactly where his line is now and, more importantly, that it is not a weakness to have it. Ruth taught him that.

This is my take on it too. Do I like to think of a Harry that only has his job to give his life meaning now? No. It breaks my heart. But am I proud of him for being able to do so? Absolutely.

Throughout the series, Ruth has been the only reason Harry would leave the Service for. Even in season 9, when he kept on saying how disillusioned he was with the job, he didn't leave after Ruth rejected his proposal. Because those are the two things of value in his life: his service to the country he loves so much, and Ruth. In the end he couldn't bring himself to leave unless it meant a life with Ruth. So I agree with those who said if Ruth had lived, Harry would have left the Service to be with her. But it was not to be, so he returns to the other thing that gives his life meaning and commits fully to it by the end: the job. I respect him for having the strength of character to make that choice.

Quote: And Gillymac, I'm going to ignore the rest of your post because, to be blunt, it makes assumptions about the projected actions of others which is something no man can decide for another.

Yep. None of us can fully understand what another is experiencing when watching the show. I can only do my best to articulate my own feelings about it, and allow others to do the same, rather than try and do it for them.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - Silktie - 29-10-2011 07:45 AM