Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
30-10-2011, 02:49 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion
(30-10-2011 09:35 AM)harrbd Wrote:  I’m not sure I completely agree with the emotional state of Harry and Ruth in the H/R/S cliff top scene. Harry does spot Sasha and does see the danger. He tells Ruth to go back to the bunker. They both know that Sasha has killed people before. The fact that both Harry and Ruth try to take the blame for giving away the key indicates that they know that there is danger.

That's not what I was trying to say. Let's see if I can be clearer. It's not a lack recognition of the danger Sasha poses in that moment, it's they all three are not reacting as Spooks in that moment, they are reacting as Human Beings. The balance between the two is off b/c of the previous actions for all of them: Sasha witnessing his father kill his mother and Harry/Ruth finally acknowledging their feelings for each other, will wonders never cease, at the same time.

I totally respect the thought that "we" didn't need a soppy ending. Something like that would absolutely have hit me as insincere for Spooks.

But the only other ending that I could see packing the same thematic punch re: the end of Spooks (they heroically carry on despite their tragic personal sacrifices) is Harry dying. Because then Ruth would have to carry on without him. However, after re-reading all the pre-series promotional materials, it is clear to me anyway, that Harry is the intended center of S10 (and-his-tumultuous-relationship-with-Ruth-comes-to-a-head. *Intentionally in parenthesis*). If they both die, no one learns anything because they are dead. If they both live, all they learn is that they don't have to sacrifice everything to win, love conquers all, etc.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - JHyde - 23-10-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Series 10 - Episode 6 Discussion - A Cousin - 30-10-2011 02:49 PM