Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 1 Discussion [Rewatch]
11-01-2010, 12:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2010 12:41 AM by lwhite53.)
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [Rewatch]
(10-01-2010 10:57 PM)Kirayuki Wrote:  Christine Dale wasn't badly introduced in this episode. . . She wasn't overbearing, her accent is fine.

Her accent should be fine -- she's American!Wink
Great first ep for a new series that quickly establishes this wouldn't be your usual tv fare. I loved the first shot of the grid -- hi-tech, modernistic, a hive of activity.

Also liked all the tightly cut, back and forth patter between and among the principals -- it quickly established the major characters (without resorting to traditional exposition) and the high-anxiety tension that would go on to become a trademark of spooks.

Cat and hair dryer scene -- absolutely hilarious!! Made you understand that this wasn't going to be a "James Bond" type show -- these people make mistakes and have to deal with whatever circumstances are thrown at them.

The relationship between Tom and Ellie is quickly established as being built on quick sand. He loves her; she loves Matthew. She's uneasy about him but doesn't seem to be able to (or doesn't want to) put her finger on just what exactly it is that makes her uncomfortable.
Tom: "There are things." Ellie: "I know." Tom: "You don't know. . . . Whatever you think it is, it isn't."

Mary Kane -- lousy American accent, right out of the gate!Thcussing

Decidedly anti-US slant right from the get go, via Christine Dale:
CD: America wants Mary Kane back and America's gonna' get her. We want our Kodak moment.
Tom: I though we were equal partners.
. . .
CD: You actually have to get off your butt sometimes and do exactly what we tell ya'.

Danny: Bloody yanks. Everything's a sodding competition.

[The UK v US issue is an interesting one, given that David Wolstencroft (creator and writer of eps 1 and 2) is a Brit who was raised in the US. Probably some interesting psychology there.Wink]

LOVED the alias-tagged boxes containing all the various paperwork for their different legends. A wonderful visual image that defined and underscored the compartmentalization needed to do the job. Great, great symbology.

Favorite lines:

Harry: I signed up here because I knew who the enemy was and I wanted to fight them. These days, the enemy don't even have a flag.
F.O. Guy: At least you knew where they were, I suppose.
Harry: Gave them something to put over the coffin.

Tom: I believe killing people in the name of life is just about the stupidest thing I've ever come across.

Tom: Remind me, Helen, why do I do this job?
Helen: Because you like the idea of a secret life. Come on, Tom, it's true.

Great end shot -- Tom, Zoe, Danny -- walking away from the car. Whiteout.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 1 Discussion [Rewatch] - Nitrus - 10-01-2010, 11:09 AM
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [Rewatch] - lwhite53 - 11-01-2010 12:00 AM
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [Rewatch] - rbs89 - 02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [Rewatch] - JHyde - 10-01-2010, 11:37 PM
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [Rewatch] - JHyde - 11-01-2010, 06:34 AM