Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch]
24-01-2010, 05:50 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch]
Interesting ep because it gives us a new slant on what might constitute a "national emergency." MI5's remit clearly states that they are not to be involved in UK political issues, yet here they are trying to keep the govt from falling. That screams "political" in my mind! A questionable decision by Harry, I think.

Also, the ep gives us insight into the relationship between 5 and 6 -- the competitiveness (who owns Lermov), the manipulation, and the pecking order. 6 sets up both 5 and Maynard -- gotta' love being screwed by a close relative!

Great character development throughout:
-Growing relationship between Zoe and Danny -- friends, partners, flatmates and . . . tbc. Loved the intro of Danny's one-nighter and the outrageousness of the whole situation. How do you have a quick fling, at your place, when you're a spy? Not easily!
-Ellie and Tom -- job getting in the way, big time. T: "This is so unfair." E: "Do you mean to me or to you." Good question -- he means to himself, unfortunately.
-Tom using his position and co-workers to threaten Ellie's ex -- same as Danny's fixing his credit rating. They almost can't help themselves.
-The evil, manipulative Tessa -- an adrenaline junkie and extreme risk taker with Maynard in hallway. Might explain her scam with the phantom agents. Also, same as Tom and Danny using their positions -- she's taking advantage of a system that gives them great authority, autonomy and access.
-Jools Siviter -- opera loving, skinhead buggering, manipulating -- wonderful character. Best moment in ep, when he takes memoirs from pants and hands them to Harry.

Loved the idea of Hampton Wilder -- a disgraced politician writing his memoirs in prison. And it's such a believable situation -- that he got a plea deal, embezzlement rather than treason, and found God while serving time. Great acting job.

I think this is the first ep where the one liners start to come fast and furious:
"MI5 doesn't do evil, just treachery, treason and Armageddon."
"The man lies just as naturally as the rest of us breathe."
"This becomes a surprise to you, but prison is full of thieves."
"Oh, how I've missed tough women."
"Glad someone's running the country while the rest of us are at the opera."

And poor Zoe -- caught between a rock and Tessa. She's in full on "hero worship" mode and has no idea how to extricate herself from the pile she's stepped in.

General note: meant to mention in 1.1 -- seems for the first series, this group is Section B.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 24-01-2010, 04:35 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 24-01-2010, 05:17 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 24-01-2010 05:50 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 24-01-2010, 05:54 PM
RE: Episode 5 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 25-01-2010, 04:51 PM