Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch]
09-02-2010, 12:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2010 01:05 AM by lwhite53.)
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch]
I liked this ep because it envisions the aftermath of an op gone bad -- Victor Gleeson's death and Noah Gleeson's insanity.

Sam out in the field for the first time -- strange idea! Ruth pacing at the beginning of the ep when they receive the first message on the computer screen -- you can almost see the wheels turning in her brain. Harry sending Ruth out of the room -- he clearly doesn't trust her yet
Spoiler: show
and with good reason, at this point.

I loved the set up of Gordon Blaney as the fall guy-- Noah gives them a credible suspect and they all, sans Zoe, jump on it. They take everything Blaney says and twist it to fit their pre-conceived agenda. When Blaney tells Zoe, "I think whoever's playing you people's playing you good," he's absolutely right. They're so convinced they've got the right person they don't even look elsewhere.

Zoe going undercover as a teacher was a really good idea -- feeds into her quandary about wanting a "real" life outside MI5.

Malcolm (re Zoe): "I think she's splendid." Awwww.

Tom and Dr. Vicky -- she's trouble -- run, Tom, run!! And Zoe and Carlo -- you just know that's going to end badly, too.

Zoe: "Any particular sweater in mind?" Tom and Danny: "The blue one." -- She looks at them with disgust! Great moment.

The mouthy boy in the classroom -- cheeky sod!

And even though Ruth's been sent to the corner, she inevitably solves 1) the "94" question and 2) the riddle of the Iliad and figures out what's really going on. Harry shoots her an appraising look at the end, like he's re-evaluating her potential worth for them. Also, I think this is the first ep that we see him looming over her shoulder, looking at her computer screen.
(08-02-2010 10:33 AM)JHyde Wrote:  Yeah, that's my trouble with Brenton as a writer. His characterisation swings from scene to scene let alone from one episode to the next.

This wasn't a Brenton script, it was written by Matthew Graham. 2.4 is Brenton's.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - Tea Lady - 07-02-2010, 08:37 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 08-02-2010, 10:33 AM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 09-02-2010 12:20 AM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 09-02-2010, 04:08 AM