Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch]
09-02-2010, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2010 01:44 AM by lwhite53.)
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch]
I liked the story line for the ep -- dodgy goings on in the banking industry (and it's certainly still topical today). According to Brenton, the story was based on real events.

Danny got his first big story line here -- got to be the glam trader with the posh clothes, the strip clubs, and the flashy pad (well almost). And poor Zoe got to be the cleaner. LOL.

Amanda Roke, what a bitch -- "All you have to do is do as you're told." Definitely not the way to endear her to MI5. Loved when Tom told her off.

Some classic lines in this ep:
-Malcolm: "Ah, Zoe. You have delivered me shredding. Delicious." He's definitely in heaven.
-Malcolm: "No one sees us. We go through walls."
-Harry: "Our Leonardo of the dustbins."
-Bowman: "Nature intended me to sit behind a desk balancing books, not go double-crossing Russian gangsters."
-Tom: "What about the money?"

Zoe again gets caught up in trying to have a "normal" life outside of MI5, and regrets it. She's really torn between a job she loves and the yearning for a satisfying personal life and that schism really haunts her.

The scene between Tom and Ruth after she's caught leaking info to Roke is terrific. R's been snared in the political intrigue among various govt. departments and in her naivete she believes what she's done is ok. She is so clueless that it's almost comical. But Tom isn't pulling any punches: "You betrayed us." And even though she scared that she's on a direct train back to GCHQ, she finds it all "rather exciting." How could you not give her another chance? She's so passionate about her work and so endearing in her naivete. She also discovers the Russian connection and that Maxi is a fraud.

I also loved the scenes between Bowman and Harry. H has respect for few people but Bowman is clearly one of them. H's treatment of B after he has a stroke is positively emotional -- he's tender with him and even strokes his face! And the scene at the end, giving B the icon back, is truly poignant. A side of H we haven't seen, to date.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - Tea Lady - 07-02-2010, 08:38 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 09-02-2010 01:42 AM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 09-02-2010, 03:56 AM
RE: Episode 4 Discussion [rewatch] - Nia M - 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM