This poll is closed.
The greatest thing since the turbine engine 90.00% 36 90.00%
Old, decrepit and just wrong 10.00% 4 10.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
03-08-2010, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 04:13 PM by A Cousin.)
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
Well, you know I find the whole thing a little contrived and forced into place but if I had to place it I too would place it late S4, specifically between 4.7 and 4.9. I am a little afraid to put this out there b/c there are probably holes I cannot justify and details I have not considered. But - kawabunga - here I go! Here's why I think this.

1) Generally 2005/S4: I am not sure they would have made this kind of a trip to complete this kind of under the table operation with the UN inspectors in Iraq. They are there (the last time ) between 2003 (which coincides with S2 and Ruth's secondment) and the end of 2004. By late 2004, the inspectors had given up finding anything. This was made public in early 2005 - which coincides with S4. In fact, I did find a quote from the British Foreign Office from 24 April, 2005 that states that "the hunt for WMD will continue whatever authority is in charge, right now the Iraq interim government." Seems there was shift to a more covert search after inspectors left.

2) Definitely after 4.3: I don't think Harry would have taken Ruth into the field with him unless she had proven herself as capable of handling it. She doesn't go into the field until 4.1 and 4.3. While her being sent into the field in 4.1 is Adams operational decision, I don't think it could have happened at all without Harry's knowledge and approval. In addition, at the end of 4.3, Harry is almost bursting with pride at how well Ruth handled herself in the field.

3) Moving it to after 4.7: I have always asked myself, Why Ruth? Why not Adam? Or Zaf? Or Fiona? Or Tom, Zoe, or Danny for that matter? It is stretching it a bit, but maybe Harry made the decision to take Ruth not only b/c she had the skill set needed but b/c no one else was a possibility. I suggest that she may have been chosen by default. Consider the possibilities in S4: Fiona, Adam, Jo, Zaf, Malcolm, Colin, Ruth. Fiona, Adam and Zaf all came from 6 and might know "the cowboy,", Jo is too inexperienced and Malcolm and Colin are not field officers by any stretch of the imagination. I would even go as far as to say that Harry may have taken Adam but he didn't because by 4.7, Fiona is dead and Adam is still too emotionally delicate in Harry's eyes.

4) For me there is a palpable shift in Harry and Ruth's "relationship" on or before 4.9. Maybe it is because in my first viewing I did not see anything more than a very close work bond between them until that episode. I guess I was too concentrated on sticking with the plot du jour to see their "relationship" develop. Maybe it is just Harry getting kicked off the grid, but it could be something more. Something else they had shared together - work wise. Just a speculation.

Wow! This is long. Hope you are still reading.... Blush

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - A Cousin - 03-08-2010 04:11 PM