Old, decrepit and just wrong 10.00% 4 10.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
28-09-2010, 05:01 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
I kind of liked the phone scene between H&R but found the scene a bit clunky from a plot and writing standpoint. It just felt just a tisch forced into place to me. Not the acting, but the reason for it to be there plot-wise, e.g. for Beth to over hear Ruth and get her fingerprint. It was a bit out of character for me for Ruth to impart that kind of info to Harry no matter how much she just wanted to hear his voice or keep the status quo of after hours working or had too much to drink. That was one Big Mo-Fo glass of wine, but it wasn't THAT big! Smile That glass was that big for an optimum camera angle so you could see it in the shot with Ruth on the phone and for the shot through it when Beth came back to get the fingerprint. I guess you could argue that Beth should be someone Ruth should trust, but I don't think she does. She is holding everyone, including herself, at arms length.

As for the HR portion of it, I think this is a really good example of someone (Ruth) making a decision that she may be realizing that she can't live with. She wants the non-relationship to stay the same (for her own reasons that I can empathize with but I know others can't.) and Harry isn't letting that happen. Her calling him after hours, at least in my book, would not have been unusual in the past, but after 9.1, now that they know they care for each other, the relationship has been redefined. She can't have it stay the same (which is no good for him), but he can't have it without it changing (which is no good for her). The question is, is her unwillingness to have it change going to screw it up completely? Is he the kind of guy to ask twice? No matter who you agree with more, Harry or Ruth, its great stuff!

Is it over? I don't think so. Where will it go? I don't know. Will Ruth leave him alone? I doubt it. Oh yeah...they will string us along again but all in the name of examining the sacrifices they have to make in their personal relationships. I'm willing to go along for the ride.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - A Cousin - 28-09-2010 05:01 PM