Old, decrepit and just wrong 10.00% 4 10.00%
Total 40 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
[spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back
(01-10-2010 08:32 AM)Silktie Wrote:  Heh, I'm self-aware enough to admit that I'll ALWAYS be on Harry's side, even when he's clearly in the wrong. Tongue

My main worry in this whole thing, though, is that the writers will write themselves into a corner with Ruth. I adore the character, quite apart from the HR thing, as a character in her own right.

With all due respect and too many smiley emoticoms (Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin), I don't know why there has to be "sides" at all.

However, I see exactly what you are saying about the writers running the risk of writing Ruth into a unsympathetic corner. It would seem that what they have written thus far for her is not representing her POV in a way that is understandable to all. But, as I have mentioned before, I wonder if that is somewhat intentional? I wonder if they are trying to keep us off balance with her? Not that she is the mole or a traitor or whatever, just that she *could* be.

(01-10-2010 09:39 AM)JHyde Wrote:  She is brave and good and kind and I think she said 'no' to Harry mostly because of her own rubbish. Which is better than jumping in damaged. But that's me.

Or taking on the responsibility of at least partially shouldering someone else's guilt in addition to your own considerable amount of guilt. One might argue that Harry's guilt is not her responsibility but relationships don't work in a personal vacuum. How can they support each other if they can barely support themselves?

I too want her to have her own character arc, with or without Harry. It would be a waste of a brilliant character and a brilliant actor. I am looking forward to 9.4. I think she is going to get some screen time as Ruth and not as the character who broke Harry's heart.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
RE: [spoilers] Harry and Ruth Strike Back - A Cousin - 01-10-2010 01:32 PM