Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch]
07-03-2010, 07:10 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch]
I'm going to agree with Tea Lady here -- not my favorite ep, by far. The story was not believable (the MOD setting up one of it's decorated officers for assassination) and Curtis's over-the-top egotism muddied the equipment and force readiness issues he presented. Maybe my problem is that the writer tried to get too many issues into the ep and they worked against each other. I just didn't find this ep terribly effective.

I did like Curtis's "War is shit!" line, Ruth's standing up for herself re a possible return to GCHQ, Danny and Sam, and the planning for H's birthday party (an op in itself).

The best part of this ep, imo, is how it showed the cracks starting to develop between Harry and Tom. Tom is clearly angry that MI5 was used for political reasons but it's his disappointment in Harry that really gets the angry exchange at the end going:
T: "Shame on you, Harry. Shame on you for allowing us to be manipulated."
And Harry, clearly stung by Tom's accusation, fires back:
H: "And as regards Mata Hari out there, no fraternizing with foreign operatives, even if they are friendlies . . . Never question my decisions. End it."
I found it really interesting that Harry didn't question or contest Tom's accusation but instead hit back with something personal, what most would consider a "cheap shot." And the reason H did so, imo, was because he knew T was right (about the service being used) and he was angry that T called him on it.

(No commentary for 2.8)

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 07-03-2010, 03:30 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 07-03-2010 07:10 PM
RE: Episode 8 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 08-03-2010, 03:39 AM