Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 10 Discussion [rewatch]
21-03-2010, 07:39 PM
RE: Episode 10 Discussion [rewatch]
I like this ep, specifically because Joyce's set up of Tom was so well planned and executed -- he took advantage of Tom's need to prove that his relationship with Christine was not compromising his objectivity and Tom's growing distrust of Harry. Every piece of the puzzle needing to work as planned was stretching credulity a little, but the concept was so brilliant that I couldn't help but admire it. I also loved that for the last ten minutes or so of the ep (once Joyce had identified himself), the audience knew more than the main characters -- we know the truth of the situation while the spooks are still in the dark. I think this is the first time this happens in the series.

There is a very "Greek tragedy" feel to this story -- the inevitable downfall of the hero (Tom) caused by the tragic flaw of hubris. He defies Harry, continues to see Christine, and she provides the first push to a line of dominos that will ultimately come tumbling down around him.

Tom's question to Zoe and Danny, "Are you for me or against me?," speaks volumes to how far gone he is. This is no longer about the op but his professional and personal crises coming to the forefront. He basically forces them to choose which side they're on; they initially choose Tom. When Harry confides to Ruth his worries about Tom, he also asks who's side she's on, "Will you stand by me on this, Ruth?" This is the first time H takes R into his confidence, and she chooses Harry (imo, this is where their relationship really begins). Once the team is split into sides, it becomes a foregone conclusion that there will have to be some kind of reckoning between Harry and Tom in order to resolve the situation.

There's some word play with "illusion" that I also liked a lot. Joyce says "Live the illusion, Tom" and Tom says "This is smoke and mirrors, Danny. Someone is spinning an illusion." Illusion vs reality -- in both cases, what's said is the truth but neither character is prepared to hear it.

I really loved the ending of this ep -- a series of flashbacks, Tom shooting Harry then walking into the sea, and Ruth crying for what's happened to both of them. You have no idea whether either of them lives or dies. A great cliffhanger.

From out of left field, I chuckled when Harry told Ruth to hack into the CIA database!

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 10 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 21-03-2010, 02:39 PM
RE: Episode 10 Discussion [rewatch] - lwhite53 - 21-03-2010 07:39 PM