Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 1 Discussion [rewatch]
28-03-2010, 03:48 PM
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [rewatch]
I love this episode. Even though there isn't a Russian in sight, it feels very Cold War - spy vs spy - to me. It is all about two great proponents of their craft pitting their wits against each other. Tom eventually gets the upper hand, with a little help from his friends, but he has clearly been damaged by the whole experience and is increasingly unable to keep his emotions in check.

This episode also introduces my favourite bad guy, Oliver Mace. He is so gleefully evil that I can't help but love him. His scenes with Harry were great, the two play off each other really well.

I also like the introduction of Adam Carter. I'm not talking about his very first scene, but about everything we learn about the character over the whole of the episode. He is set up as a complex man, who seems on the surface very arrogant and happy-go-lucky, but you get the impression towards the end through that scene with Carmen Joyce that there is much more to this guy than meets the eye.

Loved Harry in this episode as well - his willingness to take on the whole of the establishment to save the Service he loves so much is wonderful. When he says: "Crucifiction it is then" it really encapsulates what Harry is all about - even if it costs him everything, he will do what he believes is right.

Also loved Ruth showing initiative with the spook taxi thing, and showing that she can operate in the field by lying very convincingly to get that note to Harry. That nurse should work on her skills a bit though, that wink wasn't the most subtle hint ever, was it?

Christine Dale annoyed me in this episode, I felt she rolled over on poor Tom way too easily. I also felt the actress struggled to deliver in the more dramatic and emotional scenes.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 1 Discussion [rewatch] - Nitrus - 28-03-2010, 03:06 PM
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [rewatch] - Silktie - 28-03-2010 03:48 PM
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 15-07-2010, 07:19 AM