Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 2 Discussion [rewatch]
04-04-2010, 03:59 PM
RE: Episode 2 Discussion [rewatch]
I really like this episode as it explores some fascinating themes. Is it a good or bad thing to sell your soul to your country? Harry obviously thinks it is a noble thing to do, no matter what the cost, while we see the all too human effects of it when Fred (probably) loses his family at the end.

It also beautifully illustrates the seductive nature of spying. Fred is initially a very reluctant participant, but at the end he is thoroughly seduced by the thrill of it, as well as the thought that he is doing it for his country. This is juxtaposed with Tom's disillusionment with the spying game and his realisation that you cannot partake of this game and walk away undamaged.

I thought the guy playing the student terrorist did very well, he seemed to have a fanatical glint in his eye without having to sprout any ideological or religious dialogue to show it.

Hee, I laughed out loud when Fred's wife called Harry "that vile man". Harry obviously needs to work on his charm a bit.

I found Tom's exit fitting, it was great to see one of them walking away like that, and not die in some horrible way. Burn-out like Tom's is a reality in the secret services, I would imagine, so it's good to see it addressed in Spooks.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 2 Discussion [rewatch] - Tea Lady - 04-04-2010, 03:04 PM
RE: Episode 2 Discussion [rewatch] - Nia M - 04-04-2010, 03:29 PM
RE: Episode 2 Discussion [rewatch] - Nia M - 04-04-2010, 03:47 PM
RE: Episode 2 Discussion [rewatch] - Silktie - 04-04-2010 03:59 PM
RE: Episode 2 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 12-04-2010, 01:43 PM
RE: Episode 2 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 25-11-2010, 07:33 AM