Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 1 & 2 Discussion [rewatch]
07-06-2010, 03:59 PM
RE: Episode 1 & 2 Discussion [rewatch]
And to all this I would add:

There is a little insight into future Juliet when, as the grid is swarming with Americans, she mis-quotes an American Beat poet at (and I mean at) Harry as she turns the black-mail knife at the end of the balcony scene. (Thank you lwhite53 for the commentaries. That had been driving me crazy!)

Some good character development for Zaf too, consisting of one line: "Life is never pointless." Kind of sums Zaf up I think. It is the reason he can both know the Elgar cello concerto and drive around in a car that has a 280 rear horse power twin turbo as a spy and enjoy it!

As for Ruth and Curtis, well this is the episode that I really started to love her and her blistering intellect and compassion. My favorite exchange is this one:

R: But great achievements as well...um...Mozart, Michelangelo...
C: Rather obvious examples. The Big Mac. Andrew Lloyd Weber. The cell phone.
R: I rather enjoyed Les Miz.

It is so subtle because, of course, Les Miz is not an Andrew Lloyd Weber musical.

I also like how the writers intersperse macabre comedic moments into the episode. One of my favs is Harry's: "It also seems that we are going to have to grit our teeth and bear the presence of some cousins from Grosvenor Square who will undoubtedly bring their usual arrogance and over-bearing...(enter Americans)...willingness to share their considerable expertise on the subject." Such a great turn (and mouthful) for PF! I wonder how many takes it took?

I am glad they gave some closure for Danny with a funeral however interrupted. I felt like Ruth. It points out that there is never time to grieve. They are not allowed.

MM's character is an opportunity for "us" to experience what is happening through the eyes of a civilian thus allowing for a lot of good lines re: methods and motivations of the spooks.

Shining Dawn? Well, its extremist bulls**t, but western extremist bulls**t. Every country has their A-holes I guess. I liked how it is pointed out that England and America share this particular flavor. It also allows the exploration of the contrast between those that come up with the ideas and those that act on the ideas.

Boy this is long. I'll stop now. Sorry....

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Episode 1 Discussion [rewatch] - JHyde - 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
RE: Episode 1 & 2 Discussion [rewatch] - A Cousin - 07-06-2010 03:59 PM