Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch]
22-06-2010, 03:06 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch]
This is a really succinct episode. There aren't any twists, deviations, or surprises. Not that that is a bad thing. It makes this episode very clean and concise as if there was an issue the writer and producers wished to deal with so they just dealt with it in as direct a fashion as possible. They present the issue, outline what the team is going to do to fix it and then you watch the dominoes fall.

Even the character development is simply placed in front of you to take of leave and there is a lot of great character stuff going on. To paraphrase Harry, I always enjoy a good pissing match with Harry and Juliet.

Loved Zaf's mischievous glee in the dirty tricks campaign. Also love Harry's reaction to Zafs apparent joy in the idea. This is one of Zaf's meatier episodes. "Aesthetic Anarchy" is going to be the name of the next band I am in.

Great supporting cast. David Threlfall has the ability to instill the most abhorrent of characters with some sort of sympathy. Moran's platform and personality may be disgustingly reprehensible, but he really believes in it and he's loyal to it. He was completely ineffective until Sampson gets involved. These two characters show the power of language and spin. We have our fair share of people who are frightening in their ability to spin an issue in such a way that it makes sense to the uninformed and disenfranchised population. If anyone has heard Rush Limbaugh speak you will know what I am talking about - scary! But my opinions are showing....

I will mention that, upon first viewing, this is the episode in which I fell in love with Ruth myself. As Teddy Roosevelt once said: Walk softly and carry a big stick. When she asked if she should hit again, I yelled "YES! Do one for me!" Sweet of her to ask first though.... Wink

OS and RPJ have wonderful chemistry. I hadn't really seen that to notice it before. And yes, 20/20 hindsight, it is selfish and stupid for them to have had a child, IMO. He is one cute kid though!

And sweet Malcolm re-assuring Fiona re: Adam. There is a lot of talk about Ruth being The Compassionate One on the grid, but I think sweet Malcolm rates up there as well. He is just more covert about it.

That's all she wrote.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch] - Beatriz - 20-06-2010, 10:38 AM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch] - Nia M - 20-06-2010, 12:47 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch] - JHyde - 20-06-2010, 03:32 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch] - Aria - 20-06-2010, 04:53 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch] - JHyde - 21-06-2010, 12:48 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch] - A Cousin - 22-06-2010 03:06 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch] - Nia M - 26-06-2010, 04:41 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch] - Nia M - 26-06-2010, 10:05 PM