Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
4.7 DVD Commentary
19-07-2010, 02:04 AM
4.7 DVD Commentary
Info from 4.7 DVD commentary [Lance Narayan - Director, Special Features; Omar Madha - director; Francesco Reidy - asst director]:

-Olga 5-6 months pregnant during filming of ep -- no wide shots of her, body covered with files, handbags, jumpers throughout the ep, creative use of camera angles.

-All Middle East interiors in ep filmed at Seaford House in Belgravia.

-Ep was a bit short in final cut -- several scenes added.

-When Fiona tells Harry she wants the op -- she has a plan she's not telling anyone about.

-Ep shot in a semi-documentary style (influenced by the Bourne Supremacy).

-Embassy party and exteriors shot at Royal College of Surgeons (off Lincoln's Inn Fields).

-A lot of split sceen usage in this ep.

-Meeting scene -- necessary exposition but the cast has become really good at making the scenes interesting and investing emotional importance in what's being said.

-Small device that Malcolm gives Fiona (that shoots two bullets) -- real technology.

-Street scenes of Fiona and friend shot in London streets -- people in background are passersby, not actors.

-This ep broke all-time spooks record for amount of film footage shot -- had a lot of choices in editing room re what sequences to use.

-Restaurant scene -- shot in a very posh and expensive restaurant in the City.

-Blood pressure gauge used in hospital scene got passed around the crew -- turns out half of them had high blood pressure.

-Harry leaning over the back of Ruth's chair -- has become a standard shot over the last couple of eps.

-Car chase scene (with "Alex" walking in front of car) took 2/3 of a day to shoot.

-When Ruth is going over CCTV footage of embassy reception, NW is actually looking at a blank screen -- incredible that you can see every nuance of her reactions; great acting by NW.

-Adam swapping cup in minder's hand before going into hospital room -- nice spooks touch, something a real MI5 officer would do. RPJ's idea.

-Harry and Juliet walking -- Lincoln's Inn Fields.

-Adam -- makes politics (assassinating foreign intelligence agent) sound like a personal issue; emotional undertones.

-Rubber bat used in scene where Farook beats Barzali.

-Energy of ep picks up tremendously once the spooks figure out what's going on -- 12 minute finale; Adam thinking through what to do on the move.

-Location of place where Fiona changes clothes -- underground car park at huge Tesco's off the M4.

-Farook in car -- holding a pair of handcuffs that never figure into ep.

-Adam driving to find Fiona -- looks like he's driving really fast but actually only about 30 mph; trick with camera lens and sound effects.

-Adam breaking Syrian's arm -- used rubber arm.

-Farook -- Darryl D'Silva played him with a "stillness" that made the character seem extraordinarily menacing.

-Airstrip location -- north of London off the M25.

-Fiona stabbing Farook -- great filmic moment.

-Fiona escaping from Farook -- Olga actually did some of the running before the stunt double took over.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2010, 10:33 AM
RE: 4.7 DVD Commentary
Thanks lwhite. I did notice that Olga was wearing baggy cardigans and a coat in the house at the start of the episode. Smile

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
19-07-2010, 10:50 AM
i wouldnt have thought she was pregenant lol i like when harry leans over ruths seat! you fund alot of things with adam it gets personal if its about the middle east

SPOOKS 2002-2011 - Thanks for the Memory's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Once again, lwhite53, thanks for taking the time to post these. I have taken to reading them before watching. It adds a different layer.

I wonder why they shot so much footage? Accident or necessity? Accident seems fiscally wasteful. Its a tough episode. I wonder if they wanted as many options a possible b/c they didn't really know how to put it together plausibly going into it? I may never know....

I wonder if they tried the blood pressure gauge on the rubber arm? Wink

I had always wondered how much of the stunts OS was doing being that preggers. I am always with how much she (and later NW and HN) actually did. I would have passed it off to the stunt double and been relaxing off camera with a package of Oreos in no time flat! Wink

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
19-07-2010, 03:59 PM
(19-07-2010 01:16 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I had always wondered how much of the stunts OS was doing being that preggers. I am always with how much she (and later NW and HN) actually did. I would have passed it off to the stunt double and been relaxing off camera with a package of Oreos in no time flat! Wink

I think the situation was they were discussing how to establish the shot with Olga and when to cut to the double and she said no prob, I can run for awhile.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."