Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Happy Birthday Spooks Forum!!
28-07-2010, 12:59 AM
zzRainbow Happy Birthday Spooks Forum!!
Exactly one year ago today, I was sitting at my desk at my summer job, trying to find a new forum that I could join. Something that I could get involved with and really settle in with a community to discuss an interest of mine.

So I started to list my interests in my mind, previously I had been a part of gaming and political forums before they were closed down or sold on. A forum for me, was always somewhere I could discuss things that my friends weren't interested in. A forum, in time, becomes something so very familiar and communal, yet so very far away.

After a little bit of thinking, Spooks came to mind, I'd always been a fan of the show and none of my friends really followed it. So I started googling for forums that were dedicated to Spooks, I found one, but it didn't look very nice, it didn't appear to have anyone leading it and I didn't feel like it was somewhere I would fit in, it wasn't somewhere I wanted to login to daily.

To me, an obvious solution was to start my own forum. I had the knowledge, the experience and the drive. All I needed was the people.

During my lunch hour, I bought the domain name and server, installed the forum software, setup all the sections and settings and lastly sorted out a design. I immediately setup some threads with some basic talking points, then I setup a twitter account and started searching for people who had mentioned Spooks in their tweets, then I @replied them with a link to the forum or a relevant thread.

After a couple of hours, the twitter account had a decent amount of followers and people were visiting the forum.

That was Day 1.

On Day 2, Spooks Forum got its first two members (other than me). One of these members was the very first active member on the forum, who posted nearly daily, sometimes only me and him holding the discussions. He applied to be a Moderator soon after and went on to become a central figure among our growing community. To this day he is still around.

I want to thank him and all of the Staff who have made this place what it is today, they are truly admirable for their dedication to this place. I also want to thank the members, who logon everyday not only to discuss Spooks but also share a little bit of their lives. Without you guys, I'd be sitting here on my own muttering to myself about how much I hate Sarah.

I hope you've enjoyed reading a little bit about how Spooks Forum started, and how it became what it is today. Keep an eye out for various birthday things happening over the next couple of days, there'll be some threads you shouldn't miss and some subtle changes to the forum itself.

Here's to another year! *raises glass* Big Grin

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2010, 02:47 AM
RE: Happy Birthday Spooks Forum!!
Hear, hear! It's been a great year.

Always love your country, but never trust your government.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-07-2010, 02:48 AM
One never thinks of how forums come to be....they just 'are'. We find them when we go looking for like-minded peeps to share our passions with. Thanks for being the person who thought beyond and created this wonderful home for us.

[Image: behind-blue-eyes.png]
Find all posts by this user
28-07-2010, 02:54 AM
All it takes is one man with an idea (and some techie computer chops)! Congrats Nitro, you've created a really wonderful forum -- here's to the next 12 months.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
28-07-2010, 03:37 AM
This was the first forum I ever joined and I have never found anything quite like it. (And I've looked.)

I'm really proud to be a part of the team and love debating all sorts of stuff with so many of you.

Thanks Nitrus for all that you do. And to the other great staff members who've helped.

But most importantly, thanks to everyone who posts and reviews. That's what makes it.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
28-07-2010, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2010 04:38 AM by andeechin.)
Lucas RE: Happy Birthday Spooks Forum!!
Thank you to Nitrus, the moderators and everyone here!

Happy Birthday! Many more good years to come for this forum and Spooks. Can't wait for the new season.

What a coincidence, the only other forum that am active in is celebrating it's fifth birthday today.
28-07-2010, 04:56 AM
You're doing a great job, Nitrus. Love the forum, love the layout, and looking forward to Series 9! Vueltasss

[Image: action-adam.jpg]
Thanks Tyger!
28-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Happy, happy Birthday Smile
28-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Happy 1st Birthday indeed!!Yahoo

Thank you so much for creating a haven for Spooks lovers!Thhug

[Image: Hawkman_Smallville-8.jpg]
RIP Carter Hall ~ Hawkman
28-07-2010, 05:34 AM
Wow, has it only been a year?! That means I've been on here less than a year, and yet it feels as though I've been coming to this forum forever. Thank you Nitrus, and the rest of the staff, for creating a place where I feel so completely at home. Here's to many more years to come!

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]