Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[SPOILER] - A "lucas" question
31-07-2010, 03:59 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2010 04:16 AM by digideus.)
Lucas [SPOILER] - A "lucas" question
Ive set this as a spoiler, since its possible that by the end of the series, this may well happen.

Spoiler: show
So, who thinks Lucas is on his way out in S9? Some of the interviews and reports seem to suggest that his character is going to reveal something of his real character by the end of the series, which makes me wonder about how much of a team player he actually is!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-07-2010, 04:26 AM
RE: [SPOILER] - A "lucas" question
(31-07-2010 03:59 AM)digideus Wrote:  Ive set this as a spoiler, since its possible that by the end of the series, this may well happen.

Spoiler: show
So, who thinks Lucas is on his way out in S9? Some of the interviews and reports seem to suggest that his character is going to reveal something of his real character by the end of the series, which makes me wonder about how much of a team player he actually is!

Those spoilers have been out for a while and there's already been quite a bit of discussion about Lucas's future. It's possible that Lucas may not live through Series 9, but there's an equal chance that he will. The people behind Spooks are very good at causing a stir with the fanbase to drum up hype and tension and leaving red herrings everywhere, so really you never really know how a storyline will go down. Richard Armitage has been out talking a lot of this aspect of who really is Lucas North, giving out these tidbits but clearly these are things that the producers wants to get out to attract attention so that people will watch.

I like to think from everything we have been given about Lucas over the last two series, showing that while he walked the line between good and bad, he's always come through for Harry and MI5 in the end, that's quite an integral part to who Lucas is, and I hope the writers will not change all that with this new reveal. If they do, I feel like it's a character assassination, that would ruin what people have always really loved about Lucas.

Lucas is independent a lot and one wouldn't quite describe him as a team player, but he backed up teammates when needed and was there for them, that's enough of a team player for me. He took a lot of risks for the team, I hope the writers keep sight of that and won't make Lucas simply just another traitor.

If he was being blackmailed, forced, or manipulated, I can take that, but if he's simply just another baddie who's good at acting, then it would make for a shallow character.

[Image: Hawkman_Smallville-8.jpg]
RIP Carter Hall ~ Hawkman
31-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Well said, BravoNine.
Obviously, the "reveal" will be crucial to who Lucas is, but I still think that then ends the mystique of Lucas and possibly the character's role in the series. Plus I think there's been too many hints along those lines.
I will gladly be wrong.
[shallow comment alert] Any chance to see Mr A without his shirt (and other attire) is always welcome!
01-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Well, the only hints about Lucas "not being who we think he was" have come from RA and I agree with BravoNine that those were things the producers wanted us to know to attract attention. And as far as I remember RA already said in his first interviews about Spooks that he left Lucas' fate to the producers and that he just expected a brilliant exit in case he had to go. It seems to be his standard answer to the question about Spook's tendency to kill off its main characters and hopefully doesn't mean he really expects that to happen in the near future.

From all we know about Lucas he just can't be a traitor. In the commentary to 7.8 they talk about him being "driven by a moral fire", about him having "this kind of moral anger in his core" and they say that Lucas' reaction to Connie's betrayal (when he tells her "whatever you've done for this country, it's gone") was something that could have come from Harry, too.
So I can't see how someone with these high moral standards could betray his country/Harry/MI5. He even remained loyal when he still thought that Harry was responsible for his 8 years in Russia. At least I hope the writers won't contradict everything we've been told so far as I wouldn't bear to keep on watching Spooks if they kill Lucas!
01-08-2010, 06:15 PM
I think that Lucas, like Harry, should live on. Mostly because living is a lot harder for both of them especially. More interesting.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
01-08-2010, 06:20 PM
No matter what RA says in interviews there are contracts that need to be fulfilled and can or cannot be renewed. My personal guess is that RA has only signed for one more series this time and that Lucas will be in the cliffhanger. Whether he returns or not may depend on RA's other plans, he seems to have many but nothing definite except perhaps a second series of Strike Back and as he has managed to film both in 2009 I see no reason why that alone should prevent him from doing more Spooks if he wants to. He's a workaholic and can do more things at the same time than seem possible.

IF he wants to, little is impossible with Spooks. Others have come back after being (wrongly or rightfully) exposed as a traitor and/or having faked death. I don't see why the mystery that surrounds Lucas should be connected to his exit from the series. The character has worked so far without any mystery except the Russian prison backstory and could work again after it has been reveal that he's the result of a genetic experiment or Harry's son or the the grand-grand-son of the last tsar or whatever.
02-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I still don't believe Lucas is a traitor (unless forced into it) but I do think his fate will be determined (or almost) in the final climatic scenes, even in that final fade to black and white.
02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
(01-08-2010 06:20 PM)Maike Wrote:  The character has worked so far without any mystery except the Russian prison backstory and could work again after it has been reveal that he's the result of a genetic experiment or Harry's son or the the grand-grand-son of the last tsar or whatever.

If we were talking about the X-Files Lucas could also be half alien.Undecided
But I definitely prefer the tsar connection!
02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
zzInformation RE: [SPOILER] - A "lucas" question
(02-08-2010 07:34 PM)WhiteSwan Wrote:  
(01-08-2010 06:20 PM)Maike Wrote:  The character has worked so far without any mystery except the Russian prison backstory and could work again after it has been reveal that he's the result of a genetic experiment or Harry's son or the the grand-grand-son of the last tsar or whatever.

If we were talking about the X-Files Lucas could also be half alien.Undecided
But I definitely prefer the tsar connection!

Well, there are rumors that series 9 will involve
Series 9 Spoiler: show
Genetics. If that's the case then maybe Lucas is a clone and the original is the evil one who escapes from the Russian prison to wreck havoc. Could also explain why MI5 is trying to kill him.
Smile
03-08-2010, 12:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2010 03:28 PM by WhiteSwan.)
(02-08-2010 11:20 PM)RedClover Wrote:  Well, there are rumors that series 9 will involve
Genetics. If that's the case then maybe Lucas is a clone and the original is the evil one who escapes from the Russian prison to wreck havoc. Could also explain why MI5 is trying to kill him.
Smile

But as we know that Lucas is loyal, heroic, courageous, intelligent, sensitive and in short just good, this scenario could only work if
Lucas has a cloned brother who turns out to be evil and that would then be the one who's chased by MI5. And what an interesting development it would be if we find out that Harry is the father of both of them!