Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home Run - Chapter 9
18-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Home Run - Chapter 9
Thank you if you are still reading. I am getting close to finishing this, I promise. Thanks again JHyde.

Chapter 9

Turning over in bed for the umpteenth time, Ruth finally admits defeat and looks at the bedside clock. It is 2.13am. Propping herself up against the headboard she knows it is the events of the last week that are keeping her awake. A week had passed since she met Harry on the South Bank for a drink. Ros phoned a few days ago with an update, to let Ruth know that her new passport and driving licence would arrive soon, amongst other legal papers that she would now need. Also that Malcolm had managed to hack into the computer systems at the Family Records Office and Coroners Court and altered all the records surrounding Ruth’s death. It would be like the last three years had never happened - officially. But of course, for Ruth, they most certainly had.

Lying back, Ruth sighs to herself as she thinks about the man back in Cyprus and the young boy lying in a bunk bed asleep, in the room just down the hallway from her. That part of her life cannot be erased.

Ruth had tried to fill the last week with fun and interesting things for Nico, to keep him occupied and happy, whilst his father was away. She had taken him to HMS Belfast, the Natural History Museum, the Tower of London and arranged picnics in several of London’s well-known parks.

With sleep beyond reach for the moment, Ruth admits to herself that she still loves London. For the last week she has been walking the same streets she had once roamed, three years before. But somehow it all felt fresh and new, even exciting. The way London does when you return, having been away for a long time.

But without George, Ruth has found dealing with Nico hard work. Ruth knows it is not completely Nico’s fault, but growing up with only one parent has made him quite a demanding child and often, when he does not get exactly what he wants, he mopes. George, on the other hand, always enjoys giving Nico exactly what he wants, and even goes out of his way to make sure that happens. But that was not the way Ruth was brought up. She believes that if someone gives you everything, then nothing is a treat. You fail to realise when someone is doing something special for you.

Also, Ruth knows she is missing George being there to help with Nico, which she admits is not the same thing as missing George. After speaking to George on the phone most days, in unusually brief and stunted conversations, Ruth is glad she is not in Cyprus with him. The explanation given to George’s family about what had happened had not been received well and seemed to only fuel George’s quite natural quest for answers as to what had preceded the death of his sister-in-law.

On one occasion Ruth had even slammed the phone down on George, unable to listen to his ranting any longer, no matter how justified he might be.

All attempts made by George to find them a temporary house or flat had failed, as most houses in the area were owned by families who passed them down from generation to generation. As such, the rental market was basically non existent. The insurers were also being difficult, not surprisingly, with the police file on the arson attack at their home remaining open.

During another difficult phone call earlier that evening, George had announced he would stay on for a further week to help with the funeral. There was no mention of her attending, no invite, but Ruth was glad she would miss Adelpha’s funeral. She knew she did not have the strength to deal with that now and also deal with the reaction of George’s family. Sadly, Ruth admits to herself that she is starting to dread George’s phone calls. His mood worsens with each one.

As Ruth turns over in bed again, she starts to feel (for the first time since her return to England) that Cyprus is not home. That it was somewhere she had just lived for a time in her life. Could I make it home though? she asks herself. It was a time which was mixed with distinct periods of happiness, sadness, and loneliness. The thought of going back there to live, forever, does not fill her with warm and comforting feelings that should be there when one thinks of home. There is no thrill, just an empty feeling that nothing will ever be the same again, and that the life she has led there is gone forever.

Ruth has tried but failed to keep Harry from her thoughts this last week. He had said he would phone her the day they had met for a drink, but since then he seems to have delegated the responsibility of dealing with her to Ros. She has wondered whether Harry still has feelings for her, feelings which she thought she had seen on his face back at the warehouse. Her life had moved on in these last few years, so maybe Harry’s had too. He has kept his distance from her, has not asked her to stay in the UK or even to come back to the Service, and she does not understand why. The thought that is keeping Ruth awake tonight is that he has given up on her, on them. That he wants her to go back to Cyprus and leave him be, in the life he had got used to. A life without her.

Plumping her pillow, Ruth settles her head back down again and once more tries to empty her head of these thoughts. To fall asleep before the dawn shows itself. As she closes her eyes and tries to relax, Ruth cannot shake the feeling which she has been carrying around with her the last few days, that everyone she has ever cared about is abandoning her. Abandoning her when she really needs them the most. These are Ruth’s last thoughts as everything turns black and at long last, she finds her solace in sleep.

XXXXXXXX

This last week has been excruciatingly painful for Harry. How many times had he picked up his mobile to phone Ruth, he can no longer remember. He had to keep reminding himself that he has to do this, that this is the way to get Ruth to stay. He had even asked Malcolm to check the flight manifests every day and so far, there was no sign of George returning.

Sitting at his desk on the Grid, Harry picks up his mobile phone once again but this time presses dial. It was time.

Ruth has just finished tidying up the dishes in the kitchen when she hears the phone ring. Picking up the mobile from the table , she sees that it is Harry’s name on the display and feels her heart skip a beat as she presses the answer button and puts the mobile to her ear.

“Hi Ruth.”

“Harry, hi.”

“How are you?”

“I’m - I’m good thanks. How is everything?”

“Fine Ruth, fine. I am calling because I have all the documents for you, that Ros promised. From today, I am pleased to say that – that you are Ruth Evershed once more.”

Scrunching her eyes tightly shut, Ruth finally lets herself believe that it is over and suddenly a feeling of excitement, almost elation, creeps through her body. Something she hardly recognises.

“Ruth, are you still there, did you hear me?”

“Yes - yes, sorry Harry. I don’t know what to say, really.”

“You do not have to say anything Ruth. Not to me. I…er…hope you don’t think this is inappropriate but I was wondering if you wanted to come over?”

With all the emotions running through her, Ruth can not quite comprehend what Harry is asking her. “Come over? Come over where?”

“To my place Ruth. Tomorrow night. Not so much of a celebration but my way of saying thank you. Thank you for everything you did - did for me.”

“Harry I…”

“It’s just pasta Ruth, well hopefully if I can work out how to turn the cooker on. That is about my limit anyway and a drink. I can hand you all the paperwork and explain everything.”

“But Nico. I…”

Harry has already anticipated the excuse and quickly interjects, “That’s all arranged. Jo will take him. Just for a few hours Ruth. Jo will call you in half an hour to make the arrangements.”

Before she has a chance to think what this may mean, or what George will make of her going to another man’s house for dinner, Ruth accepts. She is on a high from the news Harry has just given her, mixed with her longing for adult company and time away from Nico, it is not a difficult decision to make. When the call ends, Ruth clasps the phone to her chest and lets out a breath she did not realise she was holding. It almost felt to Ruth that she had been holding that breath for three years.

TBC

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2010, 04:47 PM
RE: Home Run - Chapter 9
Ooh, this was nice. I love how Ruth is gradually distancing herself from George, and how she realised that London is her home, not Cyprus. I am now greatly looking forward to the dinner, but still worried that Ruth will find out Harry lied to her...

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
18-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Hmmm . . . Ruth's not having an easy time with either George or Nico -- buck up Harry, things may just be looking a little brighter. But, I agree Silktie, God help SHP if Ruth discovers he's holding back on her!

Nice chapter, TL.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
18-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Another lovely chapter and cracking good parenting advice as well! What's not to like? Smile

I don't want it to be finished TL, I want to it go on and on and on...

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
18-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Lovely stuff, yet again Big Grin

I like how you're in a way separating Ruth from George through the phonecalls, through Nico, and through London - makes me even more than 100% certain that she is where she belongs Smile

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2010, 08:17 PM
(18-08-2010 06:43 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  I don't want it to be finished TL, I want to it go on and on and on...

Heavens A Cousin! Not sure I could cope with writing an epic "Secrets" type fanfic or JHyde for that matter. Wink Thanks again for your kind reviews guys. It is appreciated. Smile

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
20-08-2010, 07:57 PM
yay!! They have a "date", well sort of... Big Grin I'm happy with that, but worried like the rest Confused

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva