Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Series 9: The Alternative - Chapter One
07-11-2010, 03:18 PM
NOTE: As Series 9 will come to a close very soon, I decided that I should write my own version of how I thought this series would turn out. It’s really just to make myself feel better, so you can think of this as sort of an alternative Series 9 storyline. Hopefully you all like it and I portray the characters well, this is my first venture into the Spooks fanfic world, so I hope I did well.

TIMELINE: Sets after Series 9 Episode 6

Patryk Donovan had been sitting in the living room sifting through his study books when knocks on the door captured his attention.

A frown appeared on his face, people rarely ever knocked on the door at his house, especially not this late at night. His first instinct was to grab his mother and sister, and run out the back door, but seeing as how no one was actively kicking down the door, it may not actually be a kill squad. But just to be on the safe side, Patryk quietly moved to a nearby drawer, reached in and pulled out a 9mm that used to belong to his father, and then tip-toed to the door and peeked out the eye hole on the door.

The face that greeted him came as a complete shock, a way too familiar face that he had not seen since a decade ago when he was 8 years old, a face belonging to a man that he had thought was long dead.

Opening the door in a flash, two bright blue eyes locked gazes under the moonlight.

“Lucas…”

Disbelief colored Patryk’s voice, eyes wide open and mouth agape in shock as he took in the unmistakable form of one MI5 agent, Lucas North.

“Hello Patryk…”

For his part, Lucas North tried to give a gentle smile, knowing that it had to be a shock to walk into the young man’s life after a decade of absence. And considering what he was about to ask the boy to do, the least he could do was try to put him at ease.

“You’re…” Patryk was having a hard time finding his voice, “I didn’t think…he…they told me…they told me that you weren’t coming back…”

Patryk Jacob Donovan remembered clearly that day ten years ago when he had come home to his father, mother, and two MI5 agents sitting in the living room with solemn expressions. He remembered his shock and grief when he was told that Lucas wasn’t coming home, that he had been taken away. He remembered the tears that wouldn’t go away for days, how he raged and shouted at everyone he had come into contact with. How over the years as he grew older, he realized the grim truth and reality of Lucas’s fate and had to learn to accept it.

And now, the man he had thought he lost all those years ago is standing at his front door looking for all intents and purposes like he had just killed a puppy.

Now THAT was a look that Patryk knew all too well, and it didn’t take a genius to figure out something was very very wrong.

Taking a step back and allowing Lucas into the house, Patryk closed the door and turned back to look at the tall dark-haired man he had thought of as an uncle. He was still shocked and surprised, he still wanted to know how and when did Lucas came back, he wanted all the details and a part of him couldn't wait, but the most logical side of him also knew that Lucas wouldn’t have shown up out of the blue without a damn good reason, especially not having that look. The world Lucas North operated in was full of danger, who knew what trouble was now befalling him. Patryk was about to ask when Lucas spoke up.

“I’m sorry…about your father…”

Patryk glanced down at the carpet at the mention of his father. It had been a long time since anyone ever talked about his father, Jacob Donovan, the CIA station chief in London until his death in 2005. His father and Lucas were great friends, some would have even said the best of friends. It had devastated his father as much as Patryk when Lucas had been captured in Moscow all those years ago. In many ways, Patryk knew his father never forgot what happened, and he never stopped trying to find a way for Lucas to come home.

“Your mother…is she…”

“She’s coping…” Patryk finally looked back up, “Doctors say that it…it may take a long time before she’ll ever really recover. But she has Hope, my little sister, around, they say it helps.”

Patryk smiled a bit at the thought of his 5 year old baby sister Hope Grace Donovan, the joy of the family, and just like her name, she was always hopeful, always optimistic. With his mother’s despondent and near catatonic condition, having Hope around was the best kind of medicine she could have. Patryk thanked his lucky stars every day that his mother had not lose the baby.

Turning his thoughts away from his family, Patryk spoke again, “While I would be thrilled to know how you came back, there is a reason that you are standing in my living room this late at night and I’m sure it’s not to swap life stories, right?”

Lucas should have known that he couldn’t really fool the young 18 year old boy. You didn’t have Jacob Donovan for a father and not know a few tricks, and it’s not like Lucas didn’t notice the gun still held in Patryk’s hand. Good old Jacob had taught his son well. Lucas knew Patryk was more than capable of the task, but asking the boy to risk everything, to possibly place his family at risk, Lucas was honestly having a hard time trying to get the words out.

“I’ve…I’ve been back for nearly two years…” Lucas saw the brief glimpse of shock on Patryk’s face before he hid it away, “But that’s not why I’m here…something’s been wrong with me…I’ve done things that I…I can’t even bring myself to think about…”

Patryk watched closely as a look of disgust and fear began to appear in Lucas’s eyes.

“I don’t know what’s going on…I let this young girl die…I just…something’s really wrong and it’s scaring me.” Lucas was truly afraid, he knew ever since he saw Vaughn that there was something strange, but now he feels like he’s losing control, like something inside of him has gone seriously wrong, “I don’t know who to trust. But you…I knew I could trust...”

“What do you need me to do?”

Lucas was actually surprised at Patryk’s willingness to help without even asking questions, he had thought there may be resistance, even distrust, but what he saw in Patryk’s eyes were determination and sincerity. It helped calm Lucas down, knowing that there may be a way out of this mess that he had gotten himself in.

“I need you to enact Protocol Charlie Theta.”

Patryk raised an eyebrow at that, “The old-school code? But…”

“I know…” Lucas knew that it was a strange choice, but he was out of options, “But you guys are the only ones I can trust, I don’t know who could be watching. I know I’m asking a lot from you Patryk, and I know you have every reason to turn me down but I…”

“Consider it done.” Patryk answered before Lucas could finish his words, “We’re family, you stand by me, I stand by you. I’ll call him, but you’re gonna have to explain everything.”

Indicating to Lucas to sit down, Patryk prepared himself for the long haul, he knew this was going to be one hell of an explanation.

---------------------------------------

The day had been long and tiring to one Harry Pearce, head of Section D within MI5. The mess with the Grid going into lock-down and the death of one White House cryptographer was bad enough, but now he had to think why his own officers have started becoming suspicious of each other.

He knew that Ruth’s instincts are rarely wrong, but he also owed Lucas some semblance of trust. It did start to worry him when Lucas refused to answer his calls, surely his newly instated Section Chief could be trusted, after all, Lucas had come through for the team on numerous occasions, not to mention the eight years spent in Russia that Harry never really stopped blaming himself for letting it happen.

Harry had just about to sit down to have a drink when movement out of the corner of his eye caught his attention. Immediately bringing his gun to point it at the spot in the dark where he knew someone was standing at, Harry thanked God that he always kept a weapon close by.

“Hello Harry…”

That familiar voice, it took a second for Harry to place it, after all, he had not heard it for nearly 6 years.

The shadowy figure finally stepped into the light to reveal a man that Harry Pearce remembered all too well and didn't think he would see again, his old Section Chief, Tom Quinn.

“We need to talk.”

[Image: Hawkman_Smallville-8.jpg]
RIP Carter Hall ~ Hawkman
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2010, 04:18 PM
RE: Series 9: The Alternative - Chapter One
I'm new to fanfic too but this seems great as a 1st offering. Thank you very much. When's the next instalment? If only they really would bring Tom back...

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." [Malcolm Wynn Jones]
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Intriguing start, BravoNine. Looking forward to reading more.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
07-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Great stuff BravoNine! Can't wait to read more!

[Phone Rings]
Harry: "If this is not life threatening, then I hope your passport is up-to-date!"
08-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Please, tell me you have more. This is like water in the desert.
08-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Currently working on Chapter Two, I'm glad you guys like it!

I just HAD to bring Tom back, this storyline was the perfect way to draw him back in. I miss the old-school Spooks team, so I felt the need to show it in my story that they are a formidable team, because let's be honest, the old-school Spooks rules! Wink

[Image: Hawkman_Smallville-8.jpg]
RIP Carter Hall ~ Hawkman
08-11-2010, 11:27 AM
This looks like a really intriguing storyline, can't wait for the next chapter.
And Tom's back Yahoo
(I liked Tom almost as much as I like Lucas)

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
hmmm i actually like the sound of this, please add more soon
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Liking it, eagerly awaiting chapter 2
*Coughs* I think you mean that the old-school spooks PLUS LUCAS rule Smile *coughs*

LUCAS:They told me I could come home if I spied for them
HARRY:What did you say?
LUCAS:I said yes
08-11-2010, 08:46 PM
hmmm this is great *cough zoe too??? please??? Tongue) i love this but i think old team plus some of the new team too...!!! Smile this is really good!! xxx

"Told you i couldn't picture myself there, but really i couldn't picture myself there, without you" ...."Harry, we were never meant to have those things..."