Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Gruinard Project Chapter 26
02-12-2010, 04:47 PM
The Gruinard Project Chapter 26
Ok this chapter that is important for the plot later on.

Chapter 26.

The perimeter fence guard approached the hut by the security barrier. He tied the German Shepherd guard dog outside before going to speak to the guard on the gate.

“Hey Steve that red Ford Ka that’s parked over there, whose is it?”

“One of the scientists called Dr Saunders, why?”

“It’s probably nothing but I am sure it was parked outside the travel lodge, you know the one down by our place, all afternoon.”

“Well it all checks out security wise, she’s collecting some work. Anyway looks like she’s finished, that’s her heading back to her car.”

Both the young guards watched her as she crossed the car park to where her car was

“Do you get many scientists coming back at night?”

“Occasionally we do but not that often. If you are that twitched Mike, why don’t you follow her see where she goes? I will watch Zeus for you.” He nodded towards the dog.

Kate had been smiling at how smoothly the operation had gone; she was almost to the end of the small road Welchem was on when she realised she was being followed.

“Lucas we have a problem. I’m being followed.” Her hands gripped the steering wheel tighter as she heard Lucas swear softly.

“Ok Kate, firstly take a deep breath and stay calm. I’m with you and I am going to help you. Where exactly are you?”

“About half a mile from the motel.” Kate was amazed at how calm she sounded.

“Right don’t pull in here, drive past and stop at the next garage or shop you come to. You will be safe if there are people around you.” Lucas forced his tone to be calm.

“There is a Tesco Direct a couple of miles past the motel I will pull in there.”

Lucas waited in silence until Kate spoke again, thinking of a plan he had to get to her.

“There’s a small car park at the front,” her voice broke into his thoughts.

“That’s good. Go into the shop and either buy something or use the cash machine. The person following you will either stay in his car or follow you into the shop. If he follows you into the shop make sure you stay near other customers. I need you to give me a description of him and the car he is driving.”

“OK , what do I do if he tries to grab me?” Despite her best efforts Kate couldn’t stop her voice from faltering slightly.

“Kate listen to me you’re doing great. I don’t believe that he will try anything but if he does make as much noise as you possibly can. By causing a scene he will in all probability run away.” Lucas hoped he sounded calmer than he felt. The thought of somebody grabbing Kate did not bear contemplating.

“Ok, I’m pulling in now; I’ll park as close to the entrance as I can.”

“Yes that’s a good idea. When you walk across the car park try and keep any other cars or obstacles between the person following you and yourself.” Lucas hoped Kate wouldn’t ask why; he didn’t want to explain that it was so she did not present him with an easy target if he had a gun.

She brought the car to a stop in a parking bay near the entrance. Before she got out of the car she took a calming breath; she didn’t want the man to see her fear. As she got out of the car she wondered if her legs looked as unsteady as they felt. She briefly glanced around the car park and then headed into the shop, noting the man did not attempt to follow her.

Deciding the best thing she could do was to pretend she had stopped for some cash she walked towards the cash machine, which was on the far wall of the shop. She was the only customer using the machine and so she had checked the balance before making the withdrawal. Even with the time wasting at the cash point it only took a couple of minutes; needing a few more minutes to compose herself she walked once round the shop and picked up a carton of milk and then went to the check out to pay. While she was waiting she risked a glance out of the window. The man following her had parked his car so that he had good view of the shop but this also meant she had a good view of him. He was young, late teens early twenties at the most. The check out girl asking her for £1.20 reminded her it was not a good idea to stare. She paid and then reluctantly left the shop.

Once back in her car she brushed her hair and reapplied her lipstick, not that she needed to but messing about made it easier to cover up talking to Lucas.

“Lucas he’s wearing a Welchem security guard’s uniform but he is not the man on the gate, He is about the same age though, around twenty I would guess. The car he is driving is a Fiat I’m not sure what model but it is a small hatchback. The number plate is B for baby, one three five, N for nanny, R for robot and T for tiger. What do you want me to do? I can’t stay sat here.”

Lucas smiled at the way she had spelt the number plate out. The words did not match international radio code but they had been effective and it had shown him Kate was thinking calmly.

“Ok you are doing really well. You need to remain calm like you are now. Ideally you should go to the address we gave you on your employee profile but it is probably occupied.” Lucas paused, thinking for a moment.

“Lucas,” Kate said remembering something. “I told the guard I was meeting a friend for a drink at nine o’clock. I could make for a pub.”

“Excellent. Do you remember the pub where we stopped for lunch the other day?”

“Yes.”

“Good make your way there and I will join you. By the way have I told you how amazing you are?”

She laughed.

“No, but don’t be fooled I’m not nearly as brave as I’m sounding. To tell the truth I’m bricking myself really. Lucas please hurry.”

“It’s alright Kate I’m on my way.”

Lucas returned to the computer.

“Malcolm, Kate’s been followed from Welchem. He is a young male Caucasian early twenties. Driving a Fiat, number plate Bravo one three five November Romeo Tango. Run a check and find out who we are dealing with and what threat level he is. I cannot think of anything that when wrong at the lab but see if you can come up with anything. Kate is heading for a pub. She told the security guard on the gate that she was meeting a friend so I am going to meet her. Standby to make her address available if we need it.”

“Ok I will get right on to it and will phone your mobile when I have some information.”

Lucas quickly packed up the equipment at the motel; although his instinct was to get to Kate as soon as possible he had to make the equipment and room secure. He worked competently and ten minutes later he was on the road.

Kate had done exactly as Lucas instructed driving directly to the pub. Like a lot of women she was not all that comfortable walking into a pub alone and not meeting anybody inside. She would normally feel nervous and self conscious but tonight she was glad to be walking in even though she was a stranger because it meant she was no longer alone and as Lucas had said there was safety in numbers.

She had just paid for her drink and sat down when the young man walked in. Her hand trembled slightly betraying how scared she was. Her instinct was to get up and run, to put as much distance between herself and the man as possible but she knew she had to stay put if they were to salvage the operation. Scared did not remotely sum up what she was feeling, terrified was a much better word. She was terrified on more than one level; primarily for her own safety but also because she couldn’t rid herself of the thought that she had in some way jeopardised the whole operation. She had let Lucas down, he had been right all along, an amateur could not be trusted to do a professional’s job. The security guard had brought himself a coke and was watching her closely. Kate wondered if it showed on her face how terrified she was of him.

Lucas spotted her the moment he walked in the pub. Relief washed over him, she was alright. He moved quickly across the pub desperate to hold her, a smile of delight on his face.

“Gemma love sorry I’m late.”

Kate returned his smile hoping she did not show her surprise at Lucas’ deep Yorkshire accent.

“So you should be you big lug what kept you?”

“Work what else.”

Lucas pulled her into an elaborate bear hug and then kissed her soundly.

“Are you ok?” he whispered against her ear.

“I am now you are here,” Kate replied. She longed to sink into his embrace and just hold on but she realised that would be inappropriate so she sat back down and drained her glass.

“You can make up for it by getting me another drink,” she smiled up at him. “It’s a house red.”

The bar was busy so Lucas had to wait to be served. He took the opportunity to check out the guard. He was obviously a novice at surveillance, if he had some experience he would have made it less obvious he was in a uniform. All it would have taken was for the jumper to be removed. He wasn’t being very discreet in his observation of Kate either. Yet despite all this Lucas was actually quite impressed, the young lad had obviously seen something suspicious and had acted upon it.

Lucas placed his order and while he waited for the barman to bring his drinks he watched the young man make a call on his mobile. His view was restricted so Lucas was unable to understand everything that was being said. He could make out that the guard was explaining he was in the pub, but who to and why, were questions Lucas wanted answers for.

He paid for his drinks and keeping his back to the guard he returned to Kate and placed the drinks on the table.

“There you go.” Lucas bent as if to kiss Kate again but just whispered in her ear.

“Malcolm is running an ID check on our young guard. Once we know who he is we should be able to work out what he is on to and how he fits in to the threat.”

Lucas sat down at Kate’s side and started chatting about the weekend. Now he was close to her Kate began to relax, she followed his lead just talking about the weekend and general news. Kate realised it was important that they just appeared like an ordinary couple out for a drink.

They had been talking for about quarter of an hour when Lucas received the text from Malcolm. The guard was called Mike Williams. He had been employed as a dog handler at Welchem for a little over three months. His address was just down the road from the travel lodge that Kate and Lucas had stayed in that afternoon. Malcolm like Lucas could see no problems with the operation at the lab and his best guess was that the young guard had recognised Kate’s car from the motel.

Lucas acknowledged the text and turning slightly so his face was not visible to the guard he briefly explained the plan of action. He finished his beer and then Kate pointed out the security guard at the bar. Lucas looked at him as if seeing him for the first time a scowl darkening his features. Standing, he walked towards the young man. The young guard recognising the threat that Lucas posed moved away from the bar but instead of leaving the pub he went into the men’s toilets. Lucas smiled, the young guard had just made a big mistake, by going into the toilet he was trapped in a confined space. Lucas waited a moment before following him into the toilet. The young guard was stood at one of the urinals having a pee.

“First rule of surveillance Mike, don’t get caught with your fly down and your cock out,” Lucas said quietly.

The young man jumped at the use of his name, his hands fumbling at his crotch.

“Don’t worry Mike you have the option to keep your balls.” Lucas’ voice although quiet was decidedly menacing and the smile he flashed was almost feral.

The door opened and another customer made to enter but Lucas’ voice stopped him.

“Turn around and piss off for ten minutes, the bogs are out of order.” The man looked at the tall stranger and decided to back off.

Lucas moved a single pace towards the young guard.

“My girlfriend Gemma says you have been watching her like some pervert all night but as stunning as she is I don’t think it’s her looks or bust size that interest you. Am I right Mike?”

Lucas could see that the young man was shaking but he maintained his silence.

“Mike word to the wise, now would be a good time to co operate if you want to have the keeping your balls option.” Lucas moved another pace nearer. “It was the car wasn’t it? You saw it at the motel?”

The young guard was shit scared, the man in front of him was much taller than him. He glanced at the door behind the tall stranger.

Lucas smiled the feral grin again.

“Second rule of surveillance, never allow your exit to be blocked.”

“Yeah ok I saw it at the motel and then up at the lab I thought it seemed odd.” Mike’s voice shook as he spoke.

“Well done Mike that wasn’t so hard now was it?”

Mike shook his head.

“You’re a bright bloke Mike I could use somebody like you.” Lucas reached into his jacket and Mike closed his eyes fearing the worse. When nothing happened he cautiously opened them again.

“I’m Detective Chief Inspector Pete Wellings Metropolitan Police.” He handed over the warrant card he had removed from his jacket. “The woman you were following is Detective Sergeant Saunders. We are working on an undercover operation and one of Welchem’s employees is a suspect.”

The young guard handed the warrant card back his eyes blazing with excitement and curiosity.

“Who else did you tell about your suspicions?” Lucas asked.

“Just Steve down at the guard gate, he suggested I followed her.”

“Right as I said you’re bright and observant. I’m sure that you can see that we don’t want this operation to go tits up. Over a thousand man hours have been spent on this operation and three police forces are involved. So I am asking for your help Mike.”

Mike felt that Christmas had come early.

“What do you want me to do?”

Lucas smiled warmly, not the feral grin he used earlier but one of welcome.

“Good man. I want you to go back to Welchem, tell Steve you found Dr Saunders shagging some married business man and that is why the car was at the motel.”

“Ok I can do that.”

Lucas handed the young man a business card.

“If you see anything else suspicious at the lab, don’t speak to anybody just contact me on that number. You can leave a message and I will call you back. Alright?”

“Yeah of course,” Mike said, his mind reeling.

“Lucas extended his arm and shook the younger man’s hand.

“Thanks mate. You’d best get back to the lab and remember tell nobody about us."

Mike nodded that he understood.

Lucas went to the toilet and washed his hands carefully; crisis averted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2010, 09:21 PM
RE: The Gruinard Project Chapter 26
I just love how Lucas can go from warm and fuzzy to menacing in split second. I love this story.
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
RE: The Gruinard Project Chapter 26
Lovely detail in this chapter, and I love Lucas all mean and menacing.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright