Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Gruinard Project Chapter 47
12-12-2010, 02:31 PM
The Gruinard Project Chapter 47
This is the penultamate chapter

Chapter 47

Kathryn Masters Home, Salisbury. Two Months Post Anthrax Attack. Friday June 12th 19.00hrs.

The cat was staring at her from his perch on a kitchen stool, his emerald green eyes narrowed giving it a snooty air.

“You look like you are on a throne. When are you going to forgive me Petruchio for leaving you for three whole weeks hmm? After all it’s not like you were not looked after.”

Petruchio studied her for a moment before his jewel like eyes flicked towards the fish she was preparing.

Kate smiled.

“Not on your life am I giving you sea bass. No matter how miffed you are with me.” She placed the foil wrapped fish in the fridge. “ You can make do with some Sheba Salmon and Prawn cat food.” Kate chatted on as she put the cat food in a dish. “And another thing be nice to Lucas this weekend or you will going back to that cattery.”

Petruchio flicked his tail at Lucas’ name and haughtily turned his back and began to eat. Kate smiled again, he had always had ideas above his station and since she had returned he had demanded to be treated like royalty.

The door bell rang and the cat glanced up tail flicking.

Kate shook her head.

“I said behave.”

She headed down the hall and opened the door, her breath catching in her throat as it always did when she saw him. Two months on from the anthrax attack he was finally looking better. His thick dark hair, freshly cut, shone healthily. The dark circles under his eyes had disappeared and his skin had lost the sallow look; it was clear and unlined once more, almost luminous. His cheekbones were less prominent, a sign he might at last be regaining some weight. His eyes sparkled and his mouth curved into a smile at the sight of her and in his hand was a bouquet of spring flowers.

“It occurred to me that I have never given you anything. We have hardly had a conventional relationship have we? ” he said, handing over the flowers and watching her bury her nose in the fragrant blooms.

“Thank you, they’re beautiful,” she said pressing a soft kiss on his lips before she let him in. He followed her into the kitchen watching as she filled a vase and placed the blooms in water. Moving behind her he circled his arms around her waist and buried his face in her neck breathing in her scent as she had the flowers.

“I’ve missed you,” he said, feathering kisses down her neck.

“Lucas I was only in London on Wednesday,” she reminded him as she turned and circled her own arms around him.

“That was two days ago,” he said lowering his head and kissing her softly.

The cat hissed quietly.

“Can we move away from the cat before he decides to sink his claws in?” Lucas said, turning slightly to look at the animal.

“Are you scared of him Lucas?”

“You bet I am. I brought a present to bribe him with but its in the car.” He bent to kiss her again. “ Will supper spoil if I distract you for a while,” he murmured.

“ No, it’s all prepared I just need to cook it when we are ready.”

“Good.” He picked her up and carried her out of the kitchen.

“Am I being swept of my feet?” she said laughing.

“Yes but your stairs are too narrow for me to carry you up them.” He lowered her slowly to the floor groaning as her body slid against him.

“I can walk,” she took his hand and led him up to her room. A soft light cast shadows over the pastel walls and the bed was already turned back.

“Presumptuous woman,” he said as he reached to pull her sweater over her head.

“No just prepared.” she whispered as she slowly undid the buttons of his shirt.

Much later they moved back downstairs and prepared supper together.

“How are things on the Grid now Harry and Ruth are back from their honeymoon?” They had married two weeks ago, Kate had wondered who was looking after national security because all of section D were at the wedding. Lucas had returned to work the day they had flown to The Maldives.

“Back to normal thank God one more week of Dolby and Ros at each others throat and I would have quit.”

“Ah poor baby did you have to play peacemaker.”

“No, but I wanted to punch his sexist lights out a time or two.”

“Ah so you are a ‘new man’ that’s not very James Bond is it?”

“No but as I keep telling you I am so much better than James Bond in every way.”

“What about Philip Russell, how are things progressing with him or are you not allowed to tell me now I am not on the Grid?

Harry had offered Kate a job but after careful consideration she had declined. As she had explained to Lucas she wasn’t certain she would ever be able to deal with grey areas the job involved.

Although the professional in him had been disappointed, as she would have made a fine officer, the man who loved her was relieved.

“Well do you promise not to tip him off? Come to think of it have you already tipped him off?” he asked sternly.

“Idiot.”

“Well he is being careful. He has been out of the country since the attack and as we do not want to show our hand too soon we are waiting until he touches down on British soil before we make a move. However we have been able to place him and Sands in the same place at certain times. Also it was released to the press that a security officer had died in the attack on Mugabe. We want him to believe I’m dead.”

Kate shivered, that had so nearly been the case. Sensing her unease Lucas moved round the table and pulled into her arms.

“Hey I’m not dead though thanks to you. I’m sorry there will be no Noble Prize for Medicine.”

“That’s ok you are prize enough.”

“Tell you what, you take the wine through to the living room and find some slushy film to watch and we’ll cuddle up on the sofa. I’ll just load the dishwasher and then I will join you.”

“Chick flick and doing the dishes. You know Mr North you really are much better than Mr Bond.”

He woke early, just after dawn. Moving instinctively he went to curl towards Kate. Disappointment coursed through him when he realised she was up already. He rolled on to his back. They hadn’t talked of the future, although he couldn’t imagine a future without her. They were still adjusting to having a normal relationship. He was learning to love his weekends here with her in Salisbury. It was away from the Grid and was a place where he could relax and unwind. They shopped, went on dates to the cinema, theatre, galleries or museums and walked by the river or around the cathedral close. In the week if he was free she would come up to his flat in London. He guessed you could say they were learning to live with each other.

His rehabilitation was going well and his sleep was less and less disturbed. He was still on his medication; the psychiatrist said they would review things after six months which seemed sensible. As Kate said Rome wasn’t built in a day.

He could hear the shower running. Sighing he stood and walked towards the bathroom he had something he needed to do.

The cold blast of air chilled her skin and made her jump. She turned sharply her heart racing scared that Lucas was having a flashback again. One look in his eyes told her wasn’t. She let out the breath she was holding.

“Lucas what are you doing?” she asked softly.

“I hope I’m going to take a shower, that is if my knees don’t give out.”

“You don’t have to do this.”

“Yeah I do, it’s called beating my demons.”

Kate smiled.

“Ok if you are certain. It‘s a good job this is a large shower.”

“I need you to help, I can’t do this alone,” he whispered.

Kate held out her hand, taking a deep breath he reached out towards it and stepped into the shower. He was trembling slightly so she took the sponge and slowly soaped his back tracing the outline of the remaining tattoos

“It’s strange to think that next week they will be gone,” she said.

“I will be so glad. Maybe when they have all gone I will no longer feel dirty.”

He turned slowly, water sluicing down his back. His eyes were dark, unfathomable.

“What?” Kate asked. “Are you ok?”

“We’ve does this before haven’t we?” He sounded incredulous, as if not believing what he was remembering.

Kate nodded.

“Once a long time ago, on a rainy afternoon in Brighton.”

He slowly and gently pushed her against the shower wall.

“Let’s do it again,” he whispered, as he lowered his mouth to hers.

Quaint was the only word to describe the shop. The oak beams were sagged with age, the wattle and daubed walls crooked and the oak floors creaked as people moved. Kate was sat curled in the comfort of a battered leather chair that had been placed to encourage people to stop a while. She flicked idly through the book she had bought not really looking at it because her eyes were continuously drawn to Lucas as he moved about the shop carefully taking books from the shelves occasionally glancing her way and smiling. He was smiling now but not at her. He was studying a small leather bound book in his hand, his face a picture of excitement at the treasure he had unearthed. His fingers seemed to caress the leather and he held the book as if it were some rare and precious metal.

She smiled, it was like watching a child who had been given a toy they had longed for and couldn’t quite believe was theirs. It seemed he had found something special. He moved towards the owner who was smiling at his choice. Was that because he genuinely liked the book or because he knew he had a sale?

She stood up placing her own purchase in her bag and joined Lucas at the cash desk. He was waiting for his change when his mobile rang. He glanced at the caller ID and a cloud fell across his face.

“Harry just hold on a minute while I move somewhere quieter.” He gestured to Kate he would be outside.

“It’s ok I will wait for your change and book.”

He left the shop and headed to an empty bench which was where Kate found him staring into space. She sat down beside him.

“Penny for your thoughts?”

“I’m not sure they are worth that much.”

“What did Harry want?”

“Phillip Russell is due to land at Heathrow at 2pm tomorrow.”

“Do you have to go back now?”

“No first thing tomorrow. Harry wants you to come in with me. He’s not sure if Phillip Russell knows about you but he wants you safe on the Grid until he is in custody.”

“Ok,” she leaned in towards and he wrapped his arm around her.

“Did you pick up the book?”

“Yes.” She reached into her bag and handed him the parcel. He didn’t take it, instead he smiled.

“Open it, it’s for you.”

She opened the bag puzzled she had felt certain it was gift for himself.

The book was old but in lovely condition.

The Collective Works of Elizabeth Barrett Browning

“Oh Lucas thank you I will treasure it always.” Delight spread across her face.

He smiled.

“So long as you don’t read it to me.” She dug him in the ribs. “Ouch that hurt.” He kissed her softly. “I’m glad you like. Let’s go home you can thank me properly.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2010, 11:59 AM
RE: The Gruinard Project Chapter 47
What a wonderfully happy chapter. Can't believe it's the penultimate chapter, I going to miss reading this story.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply