Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 6.9 [Re-watch]
01-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Episode 6.9 [Re-watch]
Watch and discuss.

This is my favourite episode of season 6. Now that we’re free of Yalta and the convoluted Ros traitor storyline, I’m much happier.

So Adam turns into a traitor too because he’s angry about losing Ros. Gee, Adam, Ros betrayed her country, made her own choices and engineered her own downfall, but now you’re going to shaft everyone who’s worked with you for the last few years for that? Adam must have known that going to the press about the Tehran bomb would probably mean the end of Harry and everyone else who was involved in it. I’m not sure that I buy that Adam would be that shortsighted. I do give him points for coming clean to Harry the moment he realised what was going on. If only Ros had done the same.

I absolutely loved Connie here. This episode allows us a glimpse into the backstories of both Connie and Harry, and the horrible things they’ve done in the name of the country. I like that these things aren’t glossed over or justified, and that we see the cost and impact of it on both Harry and Connie. Like Harry says, he is still ashamed of what he’d done.

It’s also great to see them improvise off the Grid to neutralise Davey King. Very MacGyver, the way they used what was at hand in Harry’s grotty safehouse to save the day.

How slimy was Jason Belling? And Bob Hogan actually helping our team was a nice surprise after all the mind games played between him and Harry over the season.

The Home Sec should have known better than cross swords with Harry. That final scene between them was fantastic. Possibly my favourite scene of the whole season. It really is amazing how forgiving Harry is of people plotting against him, as long as he can understand the bigger picture.

We also had many fantastic quotes in this episode. And Harry looked particularly good. All round, a great episode.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2011, 09:31 AM
RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch]
i think it was more he realised how important ros was to him and adam being adam needs someone to blame and he has chosen MI5. i dont think he denys what she did with yalta but he is angry and they are all affected by what has happened with ros harry especaly. that said Harrys face when he realises what adam has done!

i just see belling as the guy from an ep of ashes to ashes! i still find it hard to believe that the Home sec would give up harry and his team! i do love connie when ben arrives in the safe house though! hope you wore clean underwear

SPOOKS 2002-2011 - Thanks for the Memory's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Re Adam, the way I understood it is that he wanted to expose that it was the government that ordered MI5 to bomb that train. I don't think he intended to blame MI5, as that would imply that he wanted to blame Harry for what happened. I don't think that was the case, which is my problem with it. It means that they want us to think that Adam is stupid enough to believe that he can expose the government's role in it without destroying Harry and the rest of the team's careers. That I don't buy.

Haha, yep, that line of Connie's when Ben appears at the safehouse is hilarious. And then of course Harry tells him not to worry, they promise not to laugh. Classic.

02-05-2011, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2011 02:37 PM by BAUER24.)
Adam RE: Episode 6.9 [Re-watch]
Series 6 Episode 9 is a fine example of what is missing from spooks as of late. Humour and one liners. Especially Bob Hogan's to Connie: Are you going to stab me with your knitting needles?'

Classic!

Malcolm's interaction with the waitress at the Coffe Shop was another piece of brilliant dialogue!
02-05-2011, 02:56 PM
^i agree thats definatly something thats missing! i find im not caring as much about these charactors in new eps!

skiltie i sort of agree i dont think he blamed harry but i imagine it must be hard for things like that whjere you are being blamed for something when you were just following orders!

SPOOKS 2002-2011 - Thanks for the Memory's
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Also agree about not caring at all about Beth or demitri. And the one liners
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
This episode was good (and probably my favourite of series 6) but it felt to me as though it was tagged on the end. With Yalta and Ros all finished in the last episode this just didn't fit in with the previous 8 episodes.
Adam going to release details on the Tehran bombing is so unrealistic, yes he was hurt about Ros leaving but he had engineered that situation and allowed Ros to go. Adam has always been portrayed as he will do anything for his country and this betrayal feels so wrong it is unbelievable.
Loved the fact they were all shut out of the Grid, it means we get to see the team in a different light and show how resource they are as individuals.
Malcolm's line about the coffee was brilliant.
The Home Secretary ordering the death of his main anti-terrorism unit....no don't believe that either!

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
10-05-2011, 02:06 PM
AND - here I am, bringing up the rear...again.

Now this is what Spooks is supposed to be! I love this episode. Certainly my favorite of S6.

I love the direction - Alrick Riley does that voo-doo that he do so well, e.g. utilizing, but not over-using, all the Spooks filming techniques in the manner for which they are intended yet not over-whelming plot or character. For instance, he doesn't over-use the split screen and he uses it for the purpose for which it was created - to show two different sets of action at the same time. Throughout S6, the split screen is used to show the same action over and over again, sometimes in three or four screens. Its unsubtle and over-indulgent and drives me nuts about this series. The mood of Harry's safe-house is beautifully set in shadow and light. I love the way the "natural" light form the window plays on their faces. There is a great shot of Adam where he only the top half of his face is illuminated when he is convincing Harry to put aside his anger and fear. Do we think Harry is bluffing when he says, Do I look afraid?

While I would agree that Adam's betrayal is a bit naive of him, I think it is showing us how he is starting to lose his dedication a bit. Its not just about the loss of Ros, although that is the proverbial straw. He is not certain why he is doing this job anymore. He is trying to blow the whistle on the government, not Section D. I like that they let the cracks show in Adam the uber - Hero. I like that he screws it up. Its Bakshi that backs Blake (through Jason) into a corner re: the assassination of Section D. Blake has ulterior motives.

There is also a lot of great little character moments (thanks to Neil Cross) that make this a good episode. Everyone has a moment. Connie and the bombs (Unrelated moment: "Gin and tonic, Connie?" " A large one!" "Of course." lol! Love her!), Jo with Ben, etc. One of my personal favorites is Malcolm fussing about someone messing with his chair upon their return to the grid. It is such a great Malcolm moment.

While its cool that Hogan sort of kind of does something to help Section D out, I certainly don't get the feeling that it is completely altruistic. He sure is quick to hand that gun to Adam. It's an, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" kind of thing.

(01-05-2011 03:19 PM)Silktie Wrote:  The Home Sec should have known better than cross swords with Harry. That final scene between them was fantastic. Possibly my favourite scene of the whole season. It really is amazing how forgiving Harry is of people plotting against him, as long as he can understand the bigger picture.

It really sets up future events as well. 20/20 hindsight being what it is, I wonder if Blake's desire to cut this deal is as much out of the desire to "make a difference" as it is to gain a lasting peace? That lasting peace is just a happy coincidence for him? I don't think Harry believes him for a moment.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
10-05-2011, 04:53 PM
(10-05-2011 02:06 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  20/20 hindsight being what it is, I wonder if Blake's desire to cut this deal is as much out of the desire to "make a difference" as it is to gain a lasting peace? That lasting peace is just a happy coincidence for him? I don't think Harry believes him for a moment.

I don't know, I think he did believe him. Think about the way Harry talks about Blake in 7.3
Series 7.3 Spoiler: show
when he tells Ros that Blake really believes it is an honour and a privilege to be born and Englishman.

Also, would Harry have been so quick to let bygones be bygones if he thought that Blake's reasons for selling them out was not really for the greater good?

11-05-2011, 01:38 PM
(10-05-2011 04:53 PM)Silktie Wrote:  
(10-05-2011 02:06 PM)A Cousin Wrote:  20/20 hindsight being what it is, I wonder if Blake's desire to cut this deal is as much out of the desire to "make a difference" as it is to gain a lasting peace? That lasting peace is just a happy coincidence for him? I don't think Harry believes him for a moment.

I don't know, I think he did believe him. Think about the way Harry talks about Blake in 7.3
Series 7.3 Spoiler: show
when he tells Ros that Blake really believes it is an honour and a privilege to be born and Englishman.

Also, would Harry have been so quick to let bygones be bygones if he thought that Blake's reasons for selling them out was not really for the greater good?

You've got me there because my memory of series 7 is limited at best. I have only seen it once. Looking forward to the re-watch.

I am not saying that TPTB are telegraphing anything that far in advance, just that the option is open - perhaps even unknowingly. Harry knows that politicians rarely do anything without some benefit to themselves involved - even if as just icing on the cake. I was thinking that if Blake can cut this deal, sure they get "a lasting peace" with Iran, but it would also be a professional feather in Blake's cap. Seems to me that Harry would understand the dichotomy of politics and diplomacy? In the end, section D was able to thwart the plan - no harm, no foul. But Harry does leave Blake with that brilliant warning. That, to me, shows Harry's suspicion of the capabilities of Blake to do the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time for the wrong reasons. It kind of obliquely brings up the old Spooks question of do the means justify the end?

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet