Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Harold Palmer Affair Part IX
07-05-2011, 02:14 PM
The Harold Palmer Affair Part IX
Warning: Contains suggestive situations

One good cliché deserves another

Only after they’d explored each other thoroughly, did Harry pull back. His face was serious and a hint of uncertainty drifted in those brown eyes she loved so much.
“Seeing that we’re done with the operation, will you have dinner with me?”
Ruth was struggling to follow the sudden shift in conversation; she was still mourning the loss of his lips against hers.
“What, tonight?”
“Yes.”
Although she was tempted to say yes, she knew that she wasn’t really in any state to go out, so responded regretfully, “I’d love to, but I don’t fancy going out now. Not after what happened.” She touched the red mark on her cheek and smiled apologetically. “Can I take a rain check?”
Harry planted a kiss on her lips before getting up. “Who said anything about going out? Stay there,” he ordered when she made to follow him, before disappearing into the kitchen.

As Ruth leaned back into the sofa, slowly sipping her drink, she could hear him bang around, muttering to himself. The domesticity of it made her smile and as the warmth of the Scotch began to spread through her, she felt the shock of the last few hours slowly trickling away.
Harry reappeared with plates laden with bread, cheese, olives, Parma ham and a jar of pâté. Ruth’s face lit up.
“Oh, this looks wonderful,” she exclaimed, as Harry went back for a bottle of chilled white wine and some glasses.
When he settled next to her she pulled him to her and kissed him again. “I love it, thank you.”
Harry beamed, obviously proud of himself for coming up with the idea. They tucked in with relish, chatting and laughing with each other. He lamented that it was a pity that such a wonderful country should be the property of the French, which led Ruth to argue that it was largely due to the French people that it was such a wonderful country in the first place. They bickered about it good-naturedly, and Ruth thought it the best night she’d had in years.

Afterwards, she helped him clear the plates to the kitchen. Harry offered to do the dishes, still mindful of the ordeal she’d been through earlier, but she shook her head decisively.
“Leave it for tomorrow,” she suggested, before taking his hand. Without hesitation she led him to the bedroom, where she kissed him deeply and unbuttoned his shirt, leaving him in no doubt as to what she wanted. He didn’t need a second invitation and undressed her almost reverently, pausing a moment to admire the sexy underwear she had bought for the operation, before stripping those off too and taking her to bed.

Harry woke first. Early morning sunlight was streaming into the room, turning Ruth’s skin luminescent as it fell across her shoulder and cheek. She was sleeping peacefully in his arms, her head pillowed on his shoulder. He tightened his arms around her, wishing he could stay in this moment forever, and still finding it hard to believe that they’d finally reached this point. Unable to help himself, he slowly pushed the duvet down to expose more of her to his adoring gaze. God, but she was beautiful, he thought and swallowed against the tide of sentiment threatening to overwhelm him. Caught up in his task of softly running his hands over the skin he’d exposed, he didn’t notice that her eyes had opened.
“Comparing my assets to Tasha’s?” Her teasing voice pulled him out of his trance and he smiled sheepishly.
“No, reminding myself what a beautiful woman looks like.”
The sheepish smile turned roguish when her eyes darkened at his response, and he bent his head down to allow his lips to follow the path of his hands. He murmured his next words against her skin, enjoying the way it caused goose pimples to rise in their wake.
“And you are a beguilingly beautiful woman, Ruth. I unequivocally prefer your assets to the hideous monstrosities of that woman.”
His lips enveloped one of said assets as if to prove his point, and they didn’t speak again for some time.

Much later, Harry was woken by Ruth kissing him.
“Mmm, that’s nice,” he commented when she pulled away.
“Coffee,” she said in return and pointed to the steaming mug on the bedside table.
“Oh, thank you.” He sat up and took a grateful sip.
She was watching him over the rim of her own mug with a small smile.
“What?” he asked, feeling somewhat exposed under her scrutiny, which was laughable in light of the things they’d done the previous night and that morning.
“That’s quite a black eye you have there,” she responded. “And coupled with the stubble, it gives you a rather, erm, dangerous look.”
She contemplated him some more, then declared, “I like it.”
Harry eyed her warily. “Dear God, please tell me you don’t have some strange fetish about dangerous men,” he pleaded, rubbing a hand over his stubble self-consciously.

She avoided eye contact and Harry choked on his coffee.
“Ruth?!” he queried incredulously, harbouring visions of Ruth regularly getting them into situations where he could be beaten up to feed her fantasies.
She couldn’t quash the smile threatening to escape and her dimples were soon out in full force.
“You’re so easy,” she laughed, and Harry heaved a sigh of relief before draining his coffee and reaching for her.
“Only for you, Miss Evershed, only for you,” he smiled before kissing her dimples.

They cuddled a while longer before reluctantly beginning preparations to leave. After a shared shower, Ruth left the bathroom to Harry whilst she dried her hair at the dressing table. She could see him in the mirror through the open door as he stood before the basin, shaving, and couldn’t tear her eyes away. Mesmerised, she watched the way his biceps flexed as he dragged the razor across his skin in even, practised strokes. It brought back memories of before she’d left; when one of her fantasies about him used to entail her watching him shave after they’d spent the night together. She got up and went to him, putting her arms around him before kissing the smooth skin between his shoulder blades, then running her hands over his chest and curling them around the muscles she had admired moments ago.
“Promise me,” she pleaded, “that we won’t mess this up.”
She felt him take a deep breath and he met her eyes in the mirror.
“I promise. As much as it is within my power to do so, I give you my word.”
“Good,” she kissed the same spot again. “I promise too.”

She wandered back into the room and Harry followed after rinsing his face. He looked pensive.
“Although we’re not off to a great start, Ruth.”
“What do you mean?” she asked with a note of alarm.
“You’re holding out on me,” he replied with a straight face, but there was a twinkle in his eye which allayed her fears.
“Am I now? In what way?” Deciding to play along.
“Well, I remember something about a present. For me. I have yet to get it,” he said mournfully.
“Huh. I distinctly recall you waxing lyrical about my new underwear last night, and calling it the best present any man could want.”
Harry pondered that. “Okay, I admit to expressing those sentiments in the heat of the moment. But I was hoping for something that I could keep with me, a reminder of my beloved, as it were, when you’re not at my side.”
Ruth laughed and shook her head. “Heavens, Harry. You don’t merely have a silver tongue, yours is golden. You could probably sweet talk the Queen into giving you the Crown jewels.”

She turned to rummage in her bag and came out with a package. Harry noted that she suddenly seemed hesitant as she came over to him with it.
“It was the old cliché, I’m afraid; I saw it and thought of you.”
He took it from her outstretched hand. “I’m touched.”
It was a long sleeved cashmere shirt in midnight blue, so soft to the touch that it was almost decadent. Harry immediately slipped it on, before pulling Ruth to him and kissing her thoroughly.
“I love it,” he said softly, and they were both aware that he was talking about more than the shirt.
She ran her hands appreciatively over the soft material, feeling his solidity underneath.
“And I love it on you. I’m going to have trouble keeping my hands off you when you wear it,” she said, demonstrating that fact by continuing to caress his chest and shoulders admiringly.
“Then I shall wear it often,” Harry murmured with a smirk, clearly enjoying the attention.

His comment made her smile, but she soon sobered.
“But not to work,” she clarified, her hands stilling on his chest.
Once again Harry was aware that they were no longer talking about the shirt; that this was about broader issues. Apparently she didn’t want their relationship in the open, and he couldn’t help the apprehension settling over him.
“No, not to work,” he acquiesced. “At least not in the immediate future.” There was a challenge in his eyes as he looked at her steadily. He would not sneak around with her forever, that look said, and she sighed before leaning into him.
“Just for a little while,” she asked, “I want to enjoy us for just a little while before everything and everyone else intrudes.”
He looked into those pleading eyes, and even though he wanted to argue, he couldn’t say no to her when she looked at him like that.
“Fine. But I won’t waste any more time we can have together to prevent people from finding out. We’ve wasted enough, don’t you think?”
There was no arguing with that. “Yes. We’ve wasted enough time,” Ruth responded, winding her arms around him.
Harry hugged her back, before they gathered their things and went downstairs to meet the DGSE man.

Ruth stood for a moment outside the house, surrounded by the beautiful Provencal countryside, thinking back on everything that had happened over the last year. Harry turned to look at her, and the love evident in his eyes took her breath away. It reminded her of the passion that she now knew lurked under that controlled exterior, and the thought made her heart beat faster. Yes, they would not waste any more time, and if that meant the whole world found out about their relationship tomorrow, she was determined not to mind. She stepped forward and planted a kiss on his lips, surprising him. When she pulled back, they grinned at each other happily.

They would take it one day at a time, together, and make the best of whatever their complicated lives could throw at them. Harry bent down to pick up their bags. When he straightened up, he couldn’t suppress the mischievous look stealing over his face.
“You know, Ruth, whatever happens in future, at least we’ll-“
“Oh no, don’t say it,” she groaned.
“Hey, one well-worn cliché deserves another,” he reminded her playfully, and she gave in with a smile.
“Go on then.”
Schooling his expression into one of serious contemplation, he looked her in the eye.
“Whatever happens in future, at least we’ll always have Provence,” he intoned solemnly.
Ruth’s laughter drifted over the landscape as the car pulled away, taking them back to their normal lives.
With one important difference.

They now had each other.

Fin

That's it, folks. Hope you had as much fun reading it as I had writing it. And that there was sufficient arm action for those that asked. Angel
Once again I am most grateful to everyone who took the time to leave a comment.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
RE: The Harold Palmer Affair Part IX
Aw! That's a lovely finish to a brilliant story!

Harry & Ruth fan Heart Ros & Malcolm fan

Books are a girls best friend Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Lovely finish, Silktie. A pleasure to read from beginning to end. Looking forward to your next fic! Thank you.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
07-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Lovely finish to wonderful story, Silktie. Lots of things to like - the case, the ease of their relationship, their banter and their love. Just perfection. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to your next story.

[Image: regnumdefende3.jpg]
Thanks to TygerBright for the wonderful sig.
08-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Loved the whole story and the final chapter was just as good. The thought of Harry with stubble and a black eye is quite attractive!!

Looking forward to your next story!
08-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Lovely ending Silktie.

Thanks for keeping me entertained over the last few weeks. This story has really made me smile. Smile

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
08-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Great story, thank you.

And I love your signature pics. Smile
09-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Beautiful Silktie! A very lovely story. Thanks so much for bringing a smile to my face each time I read your stories. Smile
09-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Oh, fanfic cliche's, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.... Angel Frankly, I lost count in this chapter. You pulled out all of the stops!

Quite sufficient arm action, thankyouverymuch! A very good visual. You're the best!

I am looking forward to your next story.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
10-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks again for a lovely story Silktie. I'm also looking forward to the next one.