Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moscow Rules Part III
27-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Moscow Rules Part III
Thursday, 14 April 2011
London, Home Secretary’s office

Ruth took a step back and felt the edge of a chair pressing against the back of her knees. Without waiting for permission she sat down, the last sentence on a loop in her head.
I have evidence that Harry has agreed to assassinate the Russian President, Dmitry Medvedev, at the Royal wedding.
It couldn’t be, and she began to shake her head even before she could get the words out of her mouth.
“That’s ridiculous. Harry would never… What evidence?”
Towers walked to his desk and picked up a recorder.
“Since the postponement of the Inquiry I have had Harry under surveillance.”
Noting the flash of anger in Ruth’s eyes, he smiled sardonically. “Ironically I did it for his protection. I suspected that Dolby and his cohorts might try something. The woman, Erin Watts, has been put in your section at Dolby’s behest, and I wanted to make sure that she did not report falsely on Harry’s activities. In any case, last night Harry met privately with the Head of the Russian delegation, Elena Polyakova, and had this conversation.”
He put down the recorder and pressed the ‘Play’ button.

The blood drained from Ruth’s face at the mention of Harry shooting the pregnant woman and her husband. It was unmistakably his voice on the recording, and she closed her eyes when that familiar voice said dully:
Well. You leave me no choice.
And after a long pause:
I will do what you want.

Towers switched off the recorder, watching Ruth intently. A whole minute stretched by in which the only sound was their breathing. Finally, she asked softly, “Is it true? About the civilians?”
“I don’t know. He did come clean about the accidental killing of the German Minister at the Inquiry, but he never said anything about shooting two civilians to cover the whole thing up.”
He paused, before coming around and leaning against his desk in front of her.
“Which is why I need you, Ruth. To find out what really happened back then, and to monitor Harry’s every move now. We can’t allow this assassination to happen.”
She stared at him incredulously. “You can’t be serious. You can’t possibly ask me to do this.”
Towers folded his arms decisively. “I can, and I am. You’re the best, and I want you to do it.”
Ruth shook her head desperately. “No. You don’t know what you’re asking-“
“Oh but I do, Ruth.” His eyes drilled into hers. “He gave up a state secret to save you. Obviously he loves you, and we can use that.”

Jumping up from the chair, she put some distance between them. “Use that? My God-“
She broke off when an awful thought occurred to her and she stared at Towers, horrified. “You’re afraid Harry will try to silence anyone he suspects of delving into these events, and you think if you use me he may not have the stomach to go through with it. Oh my God…”
The Home Secretary was unapologetic. “You’re as smart as Harry said you were, then. Yes, you’re right; that’s certainly part of it. But there is also another side to this. If the whole thing is a set-up by the Russians and Harry is innocent, I don’t want to destroy him by asking someone who will run straight to Dolby. You will report directly to me, and you will not involve anyone else in this investigation.”
He closed the gap between them. “I don’t want to believe this of Harry. But I won’t take the chance that he may be desperate enough to go through with the assassination. So get back to the office, keep an eye on his activities, and start digging. The Royal wedding is in two weeks, so time is of the essence.”

Harry stood in his office, staring out over the Grid, watching his officers go about their business as efficiently as ever. He was gratified to note that Erin was making an effort to get to know Dimitri and Tariq. At least their altercation seemed to have made some impression. She remained cold towards him, but he was not bothered by that. It wouldn’t be the first time one of his officers hated his guts. Being liked has never been that important to him; all that mattered was that they respected him professionally and trusted that he had the best interests of the country at heart when making a decision.

Soon, of course, he realised, he would lose that. He rubbed at his pounding forehead, cursing himself for drinking so much once he got home the previous night. From long and painful experience he knew that in the end the alcohol solved nothing, and in fact didn’t even make him feel better for a short time. But it was the thought of the loss of her regard that had stayed with him all the way home, and had grown with every mouthful of Scotch. And it was the first thing that had come to mind when he woke up on the sofa that morning, his mouth dry and his head pounding. When all was said and done, he knew that he could not survive losing her respect, to see her look at him with disappointment for the rest of his life. And knowing that he had shot those two people would probably be one disappointment too many; the thing that made her finally give up on him for good. His heart ached at the thought, and he knew there was no other avenue. It was time to think about an exit strategy.

The subject of his dark thoughts chose that moment to come through the door. Ruth hesitated for a second, her eyes flicking to his office. As soon as they found him, they slid away again and she hurried to her station, head ducked down. Harry felt an immediate stab of panic. Did she know already? Was his gut feeling that he’d been followed last night right after all? He had assumed that it was the Russians who had him under surveillance, but what if it was not? The pounding in his head increased. After taking a few deep breaths, he tried to think about the situation strategically. If he were the Russians, he would certainly keep his asset under a cover of surveillance to ensure he played ball and didn’t double cross them. Polyakova was an experienced intelligence officer and he was convinced that she would have taken similar precautions. Perhaps it was his guilt that made him suspect that it was his own side following him. Either way, he couldn’t take the chance that he was wrong. If Dolby should find out, he would be finished. So from that moment on he would implement Moscow Rules; in effect imagining himself operating in enemy territory, alone. He would trust no-one. The decision taken, his eyes swept over the Grid again and this time all he saw were potential enemy agents plotting his downfall. The thought saddened him and he turned away, rubbing his throbbing temples gingerly.

It was in that instance that Ruth glanced over at him. He looked alone and isolated in his glass tower, his expression almost desolate when he turned around and went back to his desk. Her heart went out to him and for a second she forgot about everything she was told that morning. She had retrieved the packet of pain tablets from her drawer before reality intruded and she froze. What should she do? She knew that she was supposed to act normally towards him, but what was normal between them these days? Would she have taken him the tablets yesterday and tried to find out what was wrong? What if he saw in her eyes that she didn’t know whether to trust him? Would he guess that she knew, and what would that mean? Could he consider silencing her? She simply could not believe that of him. Harry had once told her that she was a born spook, and she knew that he was right and she should trust her instincts. The problem was, however, that Harry was the Grand Master of spooks. Normally he would be able to see right through her, but perhaps their recent history would muddy the waters. Any hesitation on her part could be ascribed to the latent personal tension between them, or at least that was the best she could hope for. Coming back to her original question, she pondered again what she would have done in this situation yesterday. Taking a deep breath she got up, the packet of tablets clutched in her hand, and went over to his office.

She walked in and placed the tablets on the desk in front of him.
“You look in need of those,” she said quietly, noting the surprise on his face at her display of compassion.
Harry stared at the packet whilst his mind tried to work out what was going on. Was this normal behaviour? Or was she suspicious and this was an attempt to misdirect him? He looked up at her face and could only see concern there, and suddenly everything was too much.
“Thanks,” he croaked before taking two of the tablets and handing the rest back to her.

Ruth sat down in one of the chairs across his desk and looked at him steadily.
“What’s going on, Harry? It’s unlike you to come to work with a hangover, especially two days in a row.”
She was clasping her hands tightly together to stop from fidgeting, worried that it would betray her nervousness. Inwardly she was praying that he would give her a perfectly logical explanation for the developments of the last two days. But he only shook his head and didn’t say anything. She watched him for a few moments, then got up and walked out the door. He waited until she was well out of earshot before speaking softly.
“Forgive me, Ruth.”

Harry left the Grid for a meeting with the Americans and Ruth took the opportunity to start her investigation into the events of 6 November 1979. The German papers had widely covered the bombing of Minister Bergen’s car, followed by long editorials on how the German authorities had underestimated the threat posed by the Red Army Faction. One or two papers reported the widow’s suspicions that British Intelligence had been involved, but no-one in authority had seemed to give the allegations much credence. Although the death of Bergen had been a complete accident, it had paradoxically turned Operation Omega into a huge success. After the bombing the German authorities had come down hard on not only the Red Army Faction, but also other far-left groups to the extent that it severely dented the success of the Stasi in infiltrating these groups.

Whilst the bombing enjoyed front page coverage, Ruth had to go to the middle pages before she found any mention of the shooting of two German citizens in Berlin on the same day. The articles identified them as Karl and Liesl Heuer, calling their deaths an ‘unexplained act of senseless violence’. No suspects were ever identified, and no motivation for the killing had been found. Ruth stared at the photo of the couple numbly. So it was most likely true; Harry had shot two civilians in cold blood to cover up his involvement in the bombing. And one of them had been a pregnant woman. Tears welled in her eyes at the thought of the man she so admired and respected perpetrating such an act. She buried her face in her hands and sat like that for a long time.

Eventually she pulled herself together and set about analysing the situation, trying to make sense of it. There was little doubt that Harry had shot the German couple. The question was why? They must have seen Harry and his team at the site of the bombing, and must have overheard something that made it clear that Harry had planned it. It made sense that they would have to be silenced. Even so, would the Harry she knew have killed them when there were other options available to ensure their silence? On the other hand, people change; Harry was a different person back then by all accounts, so perhaps his younger, harder version would have seen it as justifiable. It was no use trying to understand it; she should focus on the fact that he was apparently ashamed enough of the act in order to be blackmailed with it.

As Ruth went about her other work, half of her mind continued to turn the problem over. She believed that she knew the current Harry, and that the man she knew would not agree to kill the Russian President just to protect his reputation. But then again, he had seemed ill at ease in his own skin over the last few months, unhappy with what the Service was asking of him, so perhaps this was a last desperate attempt to get free of it all. Maybe the Russians were offering him a new life. She shook her head; no, Harry would not need any help to disappear and establish a new life in another country. The thought came to her that he might be trying to protect someone, in the same way he’d given up Albany to save her. But who? She herself was not in any danger. It hit her: Catherine. Harry would sell his soul to protect his daughter, of that she was sure.

She looked around the Grid. Erin was in the conference room with the Russians, so she wandered over to Dimitri and spoke softly to him.
“I need you to look into something for me. Very quietly.”
The younger officer studied her face. “Sure. What’s it about?”
“There’s a woman who wants to make an unofficial documentary about the Royal wedding; I think we should check her out before we allow her access. Let’s find out if she’s acting on her own, or whether someone’s using her. We once had an instance where a radical group threatened a filmmaker and forced him to smuggle explosives past Security at another event, so I’d like to know whether anyone is showing a particular interest in this woman.”
Dimitri seemed to believe her. “Okay, what’s her name?”
“Catherine Townsend, here’s her photo and address.”
“Hmm. Cute,” he commented with a cheeky smile. “I take it my report only goes to you?”
Ruth nodded and shamelessly played on his distrust of their new Section Chief. “Erin didn’t want to waste resources on this, but it needs to be done.”

She watched Dimitri disappear through the doors before picking up her phone and calling a contact in German Intelligence. After some polite chit-chat, she requested all available information about the deaths of the Heuer couple. If her contact was surprised by the request, he didn’t express it. Over the years he had become used to sometimes receiving odd queries from the strange but likeable MI5 analyst. He promised to also check the Stasi files for her; the murders had happened close to the Wall and they had had that area under constant surveillance.

As Harry walked back to the office after his meeting with the Americans, he was preoccupied with the situation he found himself in. His head felt much better after drinking the tablets Ruth had given him and his thoughts automatically went to her. He hated the way they’d parted earlier, with him refusing to confide in her. The disappointment on her face had nearly broken his heart, but he could see nothing good coming of involving her directly in this mess. If the Russians became aware of any involvement from her she would be in danger. No, it was better this way, even though she would probably end up holding it against him. At least she would be alive to do so, and that was more important to him than his own fate. There was no other option; he would have to continue to put distance between them. When he reached Thames House and walked in through the front entrance, he felt like he was carrying the world on his shoulders.

Erin bore down on him as soon as he stepped onto the Grid.
“Special Branch called; they’re ready to do a walk-through of the security arrangements at Westminster Abbey. I can do it.”
Behind her, Harry caught Elena Polyakova’s eye and there was a challenge in them.
“No, I’ll do it. Miss Polyakova, would you like to come?”
Elena smiled with a hint of satisfaction, enjoying having Harry Pearce on a string.
“Yes, I’ve always wanted to see the Abbey.”
She joined him and as they exited through the doors, Ruth’s gaze followed them intently.

He left Elena to wander through the church on her own whilst he discussed the security precautions with the Special Branch representative. They examined seating arrangements and timetables, estimating the amount of manpower they would need to ensure that no-one slipped in unnoticed. Harry instinctively noted exactly where President Medvedev would sit, and despised himself for the way his mind automatically began to calculate ways in which he could be assassinated during the event.

Once they were done with the security arrangements, he found Elena contemplating the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior. He stood next to her and studied the Tomb in silence, finding it oddly appropriate in the circumstances.
“Are you going to give me instructions on how it must be done?” he asked quietly.
She looked amused. “The great Harry Pearce cannot come up with a plan of his own? That disappoints me.”
“I can live with your disappointment,” he snapped bluntly. “I’m thinking that if I were in your position, I would want to tell my asset how it should be done. If left to his own devices, he might find a way to deceive you.”
Though his voice remained even there was a coldness underlying it that almost turned his words into a threat. He might be holding a losing hand, but he’d be damned if he would go down meekly.
Elena laughed outright. “Your file said you were clever. You’re right. I will give you instructions closer to the time. But don’t worry; I’m not going to ask you to shoot him in the middle of a crowd. No, I think something more subtle would be appropriate. We are spies, after all, and I hear it might rain that day. Who knows, we might get to use the old poisoned umbrella trick once more.”

She smiled, pleased with herself, before turning and walking away. Harry looked at the soldier’s tomb once more before following her out. As he did so, he noticed the woman again, the same one that was outside the restaurant the previous evening. She was loitering across the street, pretending to read a paper. Was she Russian or English? He didn’t know, and that worried him greatly. He felt increasingly that he was stumbling through a labyrinth, and that his chances of finding a way out of it were diminishing by the hour. And he could not turn to anyone for help. He would have to fight alone. Moscow Rules applied.

tbc

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 07:00 AM
RE: Moscow Rules Part III
An intriguing update, this is a great story, I'm hoping that Harry and Ruth can find a way to confide in each other and find a way out of the mess Harry's in.
27-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Like Sparky, this is a terrific and well written story so far. Loved the Towers and Ruth and the Harry and Ruth scene. I'm hoping that Ruth finds a way to help Harry too

[Image: regnumdefende3.jpg]
Thanks to TygerBright for the wonderful sig.
27-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I must admit that I am no fan of fanfic but this one has kept me interested. Well done and bring on the #4... Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2011, 01:58 PM
This is fan-friggin'-tastic, Silktie! You are doing le Carre very proud. Smile

The interpersonal espionage is particularly great. Lots of mind games going on.

Don't look back, Harry. You are never completely alone. Cool

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
27-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Great chapter, Silktie. Very intriguing, though I am convinced that Harry won't do what the Russians want. Poor Harry, I can almost sense his feelings of isolation and desperation. Lovely Ruth/Towers scene.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
28-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Harry, what on earth are you doing lad?!

Feeling so sorry for Harry here. He's so alone and in desperate need of chocolate buttons.

Really good Silktie.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]