Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Up on the Roof 3 (final chapter)
04-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Up on the Roof 3 (final chapter)
Back on the Grid!

Dressed and back downstairs the Grid is deserted.

“Drink?” offers Harry

“That would be nice”

Taking her hand in his own they exit the pod they’ve just shared and head towards Harry’s office. Sitting down on Harry’s new leather couch opposite his desk, Ruth kicks off her boots and draws her knees up to her chin whilst Harry pours them both a healthy measure of his favourite single malt before retrieving something from his desk drawer.

“Are you OK Ruth?”

“Never better Harry, I mean really I have never felt happier”

“That’s good but you look tense” he says sitting beside her and handing her a drink

Ruth stands up and placing the tumbler on his desk with a little more force than is necessary she starts pacing his office.

“I am such a hypocrite Harry”

Harry looks up concerned, his soft eyes inquisitive.

“What makes you say that Ruth?”

She stops pacing, faces Harry and throws her hands in the air.

“In one breath I was blaming you for the decisions you’ve made and in the next I was telling you that none of the bad stuff that happens is your fault. I realised today that my expectations of you were not only far too high, but completely contradictory”

“Thanks!”

“I don’t mean it like that…. It’s not about you not living up to my expectations, I unfairly expected you to be two different people. I am the one with issues Harry. You are, and always have been all I’ve ever needed, it just took me nine years to realise it.”

“Well I am glad that you did. I had just about given up hope. Sit down Ruth.”

Grabbing her drink, slightly sloshed over his desk she re-joins Harry on the couch.

“I’m sorry Harry but when you told me you’d handed in your resignation I realised that I couldn’t bear the thought of not seeing you every day……”

“About that Ruth….”

“…..I mean how could I come in every day and look into this office and not see you here?”

“Ruth…”

“You have every right to resign of course, it shouldn’t matter what I think….”

“RUTH! I haven’t resigned.”

“Pardon?”

“Just before you came up on to the roof I had just finished talking to Towers, I told him to dispose of my resignation letter”

“Really?”

“Really. Maybe it was because I wouldn’t wish this bloody job on anyone else or maybe I thought the idea of not seeing you every day was too hard to bear as well. Whatever the reason, the letter is now in some Home Office bin. Towers even offered me a peerage, can you imagine it? Lord Pearce! I told him I was suitably ennobled.”

“I quite like the sound of that actually” Ruth replies with a sly smile.

“Oh really… does Lady Pearce sound appealing too?”

Suddenly Ruth can’t look at Harry as guilt sets heavy in her heart once again. Was that another proposal? She certainly didn’t deserve it after turning down the last one.

Harry, realising that Ruth has been spooked by his comment stands and makes towards the drinks cabinet.

“I’m sorry, that was insensitive” he says worried that he has just blown everything so quickly.

“Harry, no… not insensitive. It’s just, was that a proposal?”

“Ummmmm..no? Unless you want it to be. Do you want it to be?” Harry stammers pouring himself a larger measure of Scotch than before.

Ruth, elated that Harry is giving her another chance pats the couch in invitation.

“Come here.” Ruth’s face softens into a gentle smile

Harry moves back to the couch but before he can sit down Ruth stops him with a softly raised finger.

“If you’re going to ask me to marry you Sir Harry you had better do it properly”

Taking a large gulp of Dutch courage Harry rests a hand on the arm of the couch and lowers himself onto his left knee. Looking up into Ruth’s deep blue eyes he takes her left hand in his.

“Ruth Evershed, you have my heart. I love you more than I ever imagined I could love anyone. Marry me?”

“Yes Harry… a thousand times yes! You have my heart too, you always did.” A single tear escapes the corner of her eye and gently cascades down her cheek.

Reaching inside his breast pocket he pulls out a small blue box, flicking it open Ruth sets her eyes on the most beautiful seven stone diamond ring.

“It’s an eternity ring Ruth because that is as long as I indeed to be married to you”

“Are you sure it’s not because it took us an eternity to get here!” mocks Ruth lovingly.

“Well that too…” smiles Harry gently sliding the ring onto Ruth’s finger.

“It’s beautiful Harry, really beautiful. I don’t deserve you.”

“We deserve each other perfectly Ruth, we always have”

Harry slides next to Ruth and pulls her into his arms. She nestles into him resting her head on his chest. It is a simple action, a lover’s embrace and yet one that has taken so long to reach. Both silently realising this they hold each other closer and just enjoy the feeling of togetherness they have yearned for nine long years.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 07:59 AM
RE: Up on the Roof 3 (final chapter)
Wonderful WAFie update. Loved the deserve each other line. Very true. Well done.

[Image: regnumdefende3.jpg]
Thanks to TygerBright for the wonderful sig.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply