Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Video-Editing Software
04-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Video-Editing Software
Sorry for posting this query up here, but my current software is really bugging me. My dad bought me a Mac OS X, not entirely sure when he bought me it, but it originally came out about 7 years ago. The movie-editing software on it is iMovie HD, and was brilliant at the time. It currently is dying on me. The special effects aren't working, and even trying to delete clips from the timeline is pretty frustrating. Does anyone either know what on earth is going on with it, and how I can fix it, or any other good (non-expensive!!!) movie-editing software for mac?

I also should probably mention that the hard drive has died several times (and been replaced,) but that was due to the Sims, which I no longer use Sad

If anyone does know how to get it fixed, or what replacement software I could get please let me know. I'm trying to get some new videos finished but it's an incredibly frustrating job. I am going to try the Mac help forum, but it seems pretty useless from what I've seen, and I only know one person that uses video editing software, but she's on a windows, so that ruled out asking my friends.

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2009, 11:46 AM
RE: Video-Editing Software
You might want to look at Final Cut or Adobe After Effects.

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2009, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2009 12:40 PM by whufan.)
Try asking at Mac_vidding_101. I know there are people there who swear by the older editions of iMovie.
04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Oh cool, thank you!

DANNY - Placements all over the shop. Back up vehicles, chopper support if we need it. Bomb disposal with a signal jammer for Mary’s trademark remote control blasts. And Tom here’s doing the catering. Mate. You are so covered.
05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Final Cut Studio is for professional companies *le gulp* and will set you back £800 *le big gulp*, Final Cut Express can be got for £80 or so and is a) wonderful and b) quite enough to do fairly pro stuff on! Big Grin
05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Backup any of your creations, or anything that you want to save and then initialize the disk (if you can still do that in OS X. I still use OS 9, didn't want to buy new software.)

Then re-install the system and re-install your editing software.

Or, you could try just trashing and re-installing the video software.

Hopefully you regularly rebuild the desktop, command + option, when starting up, again IF you can still do that in OS X.

Another thing, when you're doing lots of stuff, save and restart from time to time to refresh the memory.

I use Premiere which I love. Haven't done anything for awhile though.

Rooftop scene:
Beth and Dmitri sneak up and disarm Lucas, cuff him and lead him away.
Lucas screams, "No Harry please, I'd rather die!"

Harry: "We're sending you to rehab ................. in Texas."
Yahoo
05-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I would suggest Sony Vegas, a very complete package.
05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I love how we all have solutions to almh's problem two months after the event Smile

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
(05-12-2009 08:30 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I love how we all have solutions to almh's problem two months after the event Smile

We didn't know the thread existed until somebody bumped it.

I also meant to mention that Apple quality seems to be degrading. My older computers still work better than the newer ones. I guess they realized if things stayed intact they couldn't sell as many, despite the upgrade mania.

I can't believe she had to replace the hard drive.

Still better than windows. I'm on a little PC for the internet only as I couldn't afford a new mac and have significant resistance to learning OS X.

Rooftop scene:
Beth and Dmitri sneak up and disarm Lucas, cuff him and lead him away.
Lucas screams, "No Harry please, I'd rather die!"

Harry: "We're sending you to rehab ................. in Texas."
Yahoo
05-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks for that guys (who cares that it's 2 months later! Wink) Smile I hadn't got any further, so it's still useful! lol, actually, it seems to be fixing itself strangely. I am slightly bemused by that, but thanks for your help anyway!