Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Favorite Film Directors
20-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Favorite Film Directors
I'm starting a new thread for favorite film directors and quoting a post by JHyde to boot.

(20-11-2009 07:16 PM)JHyde Wrote:  I like good ol' Wes Anderson very much. I also like Life Aquatic - and I'm sure he's directing Fantastic Mr Fox which is yet to come out here.

I'm very much a Wes Anderson fan. I still haven't seen Life Aquatic. It was in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart the other day. I should have grabbed it. He also seems like the perfect guy to make a movie based on a Roald Dahl book. Then again I said the same thing about Tim Burton.

Always love your country, but never trust your government.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2009, 10:12 PM
RE: Favorite Film Directors
Martin Scorsese, James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Tony Scott, Steven Spielberg, Robert Rodriguez & Quentin Tarantino!

Nuff said?

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
21-11-2009, 05:44 PM
You did it!! hehe

Tim Burton (he has a great imagination, I love the atmosphere he creates in his films), Woody Allen, Steven Spielberg, Alejandro Amenábar, Juan José Campanella...

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Tim Burton, even when he gives us a miss it's an interesting experience.
Luc Besson, he gave us both Leon the Professional and The Fifth Element
Wes Anderson, even if he never directed any other film, he gave me The Royal Tenenbaums
Robert Rodriguez*, the man made Spy Kids almost tolerable and gave us some glorious films.
Quentin Tarrantino*, Pulp Fiction was my wife & my 3rd date. Kill Bill 1 & 2 were great too.
Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles. Nuff said! Also, Young Frankenstein...then again, maybe I only like films he released in 1974.
Stephen Spielberg, he's done some wonderful stuff, even though I can't think of anything since Jurassic Park.
Martin Scorsese almost goes without saying. Even though the Oscar for The Departed was almost a guilt thing. I think Three 6 Mafia 1 Scorsese 0 remark in 2005 had something to do with it.
Francis Ford Coppola, Godfather I & II, Apocalypse Now, Dracula, Captain EO...yes, that Captain EO.

It's also interesting to see what we get when Quentin Tarrantino and Robert Rodriguez work together. I'm not sure how much that's happening now that Rodriguez is no longer a member of the Directors' Guild. Sin City & From Dusk Til Dawn.

Nitrus, I don't really care for either of the Scotts, or at least after say 1983. Gladiator is on my least favorite film list, even if there were some great performances.

Similar thing with James Cameron. Pretty much from The Abyss on, I've not been sure what he was doing. The Titanic was good, but I have some very personal issues with that film.

As much as I love the original Star Wars films I can't put George Lucas on my list.

I'm sure I'll add more later.

22-11-2009, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2009 04:54 AM by JHyde.)
Well, I'm probably repeating myself, but anyway:

*Woody Allen
*Michael Gondry
*Christine Jeffs
*Spike Jonze
*Sarah Watt (an Australian director, who makes wonderful films about ordinary people living day to day. Like a more developed Mike Leigh, in some ways, and less try hard. Better intentions too.)
*Hitchcock, an oldie but a goodie. I still think his films provide us with a wonderfully unique version of cultural history.
*Alphonso Cuaron (I can't get the accent in, sorry Beatriz!)
*Guillermo del Toro
*Bharat Nalluri (who of course we know from his wonderful, stylish work on Spooks).

I also love several TV directors, especially Julie Ann Robinson who started out with Blackpool and has gone on to direct some of my fave episodes of Weeds and Grey's Anatomy. The movie she's currently doing with Miley Cyrus is just a stepping stone, repeat after me.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
22-11-2009, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2009 06:32 PM by Beatriz.)
OMG!! How could I forgot Hitchcock!!! He's great, the master of the suspense as they call him!! One of my favourites are Psycosis and Rear window, I'm eager to watch Vertigo.

Don't worry, JHyde Wink (Alfonso will be Wink I usually misspell English names (and many words too), it was difficult for me to learn how to write Hitchcock Tongue

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
22-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I really like Rear Window.

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
22-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh, yeah, and the Coen Brothers.

23-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Oh of course! I knew I'd forget someone really important and I forgot two of them. Their new film has just been released here, and I'm so excited. I think even their lesser films are fabulous. They're actually very old school in how they build suspense, and I'm a sucker for a thriller.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
23-11-2009, 03:43 PM
And they're not like M. Night Shyamalan where their tricks are sitting there and you're waiting for them to slap you in the face.

The Coens' are probably the only people on the planet that could remake Ladykillers and me not hate it. I loved the original with Sir Alec Guinness.

I didn't like Hudsucker Proxy, but pretty much liked or loved all of their other films. I watch Oh Brother Where Art Thou? at least a couple of times a year.