Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A Strange Way to Find Out - Ch's 2 & 3
07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
A Strange Way to Find Out - Ch's 2 & 3
A STRANGE WAY TO FIND OUT - Chapters 2 & 3
May contain spoilers for seasons 4, 7 & 8

Chapter 2

Following breakfast in bed and a few extra moments to cuddle and kiss, Harry and Ruth were up and ready to depart for Wes’ game. Well, almost…
“Ruth!” Harry called. We almost made it out the door. Harry couldn’t understand why she never made it out the door without one last dash upstairs. He had quickly learned to keep his comments to himself, however, and simply built in the extra five minutes needed to every scheduled activity.
“I’m here, I’m here. I just thought we might need an extra blanket in case we decide to have a picnic.”
“It’s 10 degrees Celsius outside.” He remarked incredulously. “I’m not sure we’ll want to have a picnic today.”
“Well, Smartypants, perhaps not but what if we do?” She smiled at him, daring him to argue.
“Smartypants? Is that the best argument you can gather?”
“How’s this? We can go now with the blanket or you can take it back upstairs.” She flashed him a wide grin.
“You’re absolutely right.” He conceded, “I’m not sure why I didn’t see it that way in the first place.”
He patted her backside as she walked past him and she swatted playfully at his shoulder.
The car ride to Wes’ school was spent lightly bickering over Rachmaninov versus Led Zeppelin, Audi’s versus Buick’s and Corn Flakes versus Honey Bunches of Oats.
“I don’t see why you won’t buy the Oats cereal. They’ve taken corn flakes and added flavour. What could be wrong with that?”
“Harry, honestly, why don’t you just pour a cup of sugar into your bowl and drown it in strawberry milk.”
“Okay. Can we have that for breakfast tomorrow?” Ruth punched him in the leg.
“Hey, lady, are you trying to cause an accident?” Harry grabbed her hand and laced their fingers together, holding it tightly on his thigh. “You realize you’re a menace to society.” He continued, bringing her fingers up to his mouth and kissing them each in turn.
“Harry, there’s the turn.” He released her hand and made the turn.
“Menace to society” He mumbled, grinning to himself.

Arriving at Wes’ game, they parked the car. Harry retrieved their chairs from the boot and Ruth carried the thermos of hot chocolate and the blanket.
Noticing Harry’s smirk she retorted, “It’s not for you, it’s for me, to keep my legs warm.” And she stuck her tongue out at him.
He switched the chairs to one hand and reached around her to pull her into a bear hug. “You’re a one and only, my Love.” He chuckled into her hair.
As they set up their chairs, Wes spotted them and ran over. “Uncle Harry!” Harry opened his arms and received the boy into a hug. “I brought Aunt Ruth with me, I hope that’s okay. She’s a Rugby neophyte but very teachable.” Wes looked over and smiled at Ruth. “Thanks for coming to my game.”
“My pleasure” replied Ruth. He still has Adam’s irrepressible spirit in spite of all he’s been through.
Harry and Ruth sat with the rest of the supporters, gamely cheering through their bluing lips.

After the game, Wes made his way hurriedly over to Harry and Ruth. “Did you see that? I mean, did you see that move I made, Uncle Harry? I deked and then spun around and left him totally in the dust. It was the coolest move. Then Robbie, did you see what he did? He ploughed on through the bunch and ….” Ruth had completely lost track of what the boy was saying but she hoped she was nodding and smiling in the right places. She watched Harry’s face, enjoying the look of fondness in his eyes for this poor motherless and fatherless child.
“All right now. Where to for lunch?” Harry asked.
“McDonalds!” Wes replied exuberantly. Harry and Ruth groaned in unison.
Ruth tried, “How about a café with chocolate cake for dessert?” Wes’ face fell. “Okay, if you want to.”
“Or” Ruth began again, “McDonalds and then chocolate cake?” Wes’ face beamed. “AhhRrright!”

“I want a Big Mac and fries and a strawberry milkshake and and and an apple pie.” His voice softened a little, turning his gaze on Harry. “Is that okay?”
Harry lightly punched him on the shoulder. “It’s great, Mate.” Wes brightened at the familiar endearment.
“Why don’t you find us a table and we’ll order.” Wes scampered off to find just the perfect spot.
“Mate?” Ruth inquired.
“Adam always called him that.” She reached her arm through his and hugged it to her.
“Is there anything on this menu that remotely resembles food?” Harry asked.
“There’s a McChicken.” Ruth replied. “Chicken is meat.”
“What makes it a Mc do you suppose?”
“Can I help you sir?” The waitress interrupted their discussion.
Harry ordered and opened his wallet to pay.
“Um, Ruth, did you remember to go to the bank yesterday?”
“I thought you went.”
The waitress intervened. “It’s okay sir, we take debit.”
“Right. Ummm”
“I’ll take care of it” Ruth pulled out her debit card and paid. “You know we can’t spend an entire weekend with Wes and have no cash. Which branch is open on a Saturday?”
“I think the Hammersmith branch of Lloyds is open Saturdays, shall we stop on the way back to the house?” Ruth nodded, they picked up their food and headed over to find Wes.

Stopping at the bank proved to be a bit of adventure as they got turned around twice because of construction. Finally the trio trooped into the bank discussing how they were going to get their hands on the promised chocolate cake.
“Really, Wes, I think we can manage to make our own chocolate cake as long as we don’t let Aunt Ruth too near the cooker.”
“And what is that supposed to mean-” Ruth spun her head around at the sound of doors being slammed.
“Everybody stay still! This is a holdup!”

Chapter 3

Harry drew out his phone and red flashed Lucas. He speed dialed Tariq and dumped his phone and wallet in the rubbish bin. He heard the muffled sound of Tariq’s voice and hoped the gunmen wouldn’t notice the voice amidst the trash.

Harry surveyed the room, assessing the situation. As he cast his eyes around, he saw four masked gunmen. One unmasked man was standing with arms folded just inside the doors. His eyes flitted past and he saw Ruth holding Wes tightly to her side, the boy’s eyes wide with fright. Harry judged that he had a few moments while the robbers organized themselves and moved quickly to Ruth and Wes, putting his arms around them both.

“All right, if everybody cooperates, no one gets hurt, ya understand? Hey-” the masked man pointed his gun in the air and fired a few shots. People screamed. Harry moved himself between the gunmen and his loved ones.

“Harry. Harry?” Tariq called into the telephone. Now Lucas was calling Tariq’s mobile. What is this a joke? Torment the poor newbie? Tariq wondered. He answered the telephone, “Lucas. What’s going on?”

“Tariq get a trace on Harry’s phone.”

“Lucas, I’m on the other line with Harry but he’s not answering. And I –never mind.”

“What Tariq? Tell me.”

“I thought I heard gunshots.”

“Keep Harry’s line open, start recording the call and-” A black thought crossed Lucas’ mind. “And get a trace on Ruth’s phone as well.”

“Lucas, what’s going on?”

“I don’t know. I’ll be there is 15 minutes.” Lucas rang off and, grabbing his coat, headed to the car.

As Harry stood by Ruth and Wes, he located the CCTV cameras in the ceiling and made certain they got a clear shot of him, hoping that either Tariq or Lucas would figure out what was going on.

Lucas burst into the tech room, slowing his pace as he saw Harry on the screen over Tariq’s shoulder.

“That is Harry.” Lucas stopped, astounded.

“Yep, and that is Ruth and I don’t know who the kid is but Ruth’s got a tight hold on him.” Here Tariq handed Lucas a transcript. “Here’s what’s happening so far. I think Harry called me and dumped his phone so we could hear what’s going on.”

“Bank robbers!” Lucas exclaimed. “Where are we, the wild west?”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
RE: A Strange Way to Find Out - Ch's 2 & 3
What a wonderful idea of Harry, Ruth and Wes just stumbling into a bank robbery !

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply