Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Friendly Advice - Part 2
10-02-2010, 07:19 PM
zzHeart Friendly Advice - Part 2
Well were up to the date! Hope you enjoy!

Ruth placed a hand inside her wardrobe fumbling between the racks of clothes for something that didn’t resemble office attire or something out of an 90s time warp, sighing she picked up a pair of smart jeans from a hanger and set about deciding between which top would be most appropriate for a cinema trip. Not that the cinema had a dress code but popcorn in the cleavage was not the look that she was going for and being prepared for any eventuality was a must. Finally picking a dark burgundy coloured blouse she proceeded to dress, smiling at herself in the mirror as she mentally backtracked to the conversation that she had had with Malcolm, teenager indeed she thought; giddily going over every possible scenario that tonight could unfold. She dabbed a small amount of perfume at her pulse points inhaling the heady scent as it clung to the air around her. For the first time in a long time she was genuinely excited and it felt amazing, letting go of the past and finally moving forward with her life; and it was mostly thanks to Malcolm. She finished applying her make – up; a small amount of mascara, a little foundation and blush and she was ready to go. All she had to do now was wait for him to come and pick her up, she walked down the stairs towards the kitchen and poured herself a glass of wine in the attempt to calm the nerves which had began to creep up on her. A knock on the door made her place the glass back on the counter, brushing down her jeans she took a deep breath and opened the door.

“Hi.” Harry smiled awkwardly at her on the threshold of the house; she smiled back and grasped her coat from off the staircase.

“Ready?” He beckoned towards his car.

“Yep,” she turned around placing her piece of paper in the doorframe before looking up towards him expectantly as he walked her to his car.

The car journey was filled with a quiet awkwardness between the two which was broken several times by Harry’s need to fill the gap with anything that even closely resembled conversation. Before long they had arrived at the cinema.

“So what exactly are we going to see?”

“I was thinking you could choose. I’m not particularly enthralled by any of the choices on offer, to be perfectly honest.”

“You should have said, we could have gone somewhere else.”

“Don’t be silly, you wanted to go to the cinema, and alas here we are now decide, mule.” She looked up at him from under her lashes and took his hand.

“Well we’ll see how long your resolve lasts when I have both Colin Firth and Hugh Grant to fawn over.”

“I think I’ll survive.” He smiled noting their joined hands and caressing her palm with the point of a finger.

“Besides, I thought that your taste in films would extend further than modern adaptations of Jane Austen.”

“My startling intellect needs a night off every now and then Harry.” She grinned cheekily at him and he laughed fully at her.

They positioned themselves in the queue to pay when Harry felt a tug on his hand, he peered down at Ruth who was appraising him with her eyes; a glint of something in them that he had almost forgotten.

“I went to see Malcolm today.”

“Really? How is he?”

“You aren’t angry?” She quizzed him, moving closer towards him as she did so.

“Of course not, why? Should I be?” He grinned down at her.

“No, and he was fine.”

“So why did you go and see him?”

“I needed to talk to somebody.” She kept her eyes on him watching for his reaction.

“You can always talk to me, you know that Ruth.” He looked at her, the concern showing in his eyes.

“It would have been defeating the object.” She smirked saucily at him and watched as he took an audible gulp.

“Should I be jealous?” He chuckled and gripped her hand tighter with his own.

“Most definitely, in fact Malcolm threw himself at me as soon as he opened the door.” She played him teasingly and smiled at his mock shocked look.
They had failed to notice that they were now at the front of the queue and the cashier was frantically calling out for the next customer when the people behind them placed a firm hand on Harry’s back and told him in a less than civilised manner to hurry up.

“Two for Bridget Jones please.” He sighed, watching the amused look on the cashier’s face as she shared what must have been some joke between her and Ruth that only the female’s of the species were in on.

Grasping their tickets they made for the pick n mix stand, still holding hands and reeling from the slight indication of this date being more like an authentic date rather than the previous awkward outings that they had been on.

He picked up a bag and a scoop and began to shovel all manner of sweets into it, before feeling a hand on his arm.

“You do realise that they will be extortionate in price.”

“It’s only a couple of sweets it won’t be too bad.” Ruth held her hands up in a mock surrender fashion as he walked towards the till and the spotty youth behind it.

“That’ll be £8.00 please sir.”

“£8.00.”

“Yes. Sir”

“What’s in them? Cocaine?”

The boy shuffled his feet nervously and looked at Ruth for help, she glanced up at Harry with pleading eyes and he promptly handed over a £10 note to the youngster.

Grasping onto her hand he walked them towards the screen, extortionate sweets in tow.

“Hate to say I told you so.”

“I should have taken him back to Thames House for target practice.”

Smiling she dipped her hand in the bag and picked out a jelly sweet. Still fuming over the ridiculous prices Harry was looking elsewhere until he felt a gentle tap on his chin, he turned around to see Ruth holding the sweet to his lips.

“Open up.” He smiled and opened his mouth so she could pop the sweet into it.

“Now stop moaning.”

They walked into the auditorium to see it littered with men who seemed to have been blackmailed into going to see the film with their partners, empathy stretched across their faces as they acknowledged each other walking in.

“Where do you want to sit?”

Ruth shrugged and proceeded to scan the free seats in the room; of which there were many. Purely accidentally her gaze fell onto the back row of the auditorium and she heard an echo in her head of the conversation that she and Malcolm had had previously and chuckled to herself. She pulled him up the steps and proceeded towards the back.

“The back row?” Harry asked incredulously.

“Indulge me.” Ruth patted his arm as he sat down in the seat next to her. Shaking his head he looked at her with a vague look in his eyes.

The lights dimmed in the theatre as Harry held the sweets out to Ruth, she smiled at him, and took the bag off him; settling it between their bodies and grasped his hand instead. Grinning he took his hand from hers and placed it around her shoulders instead; holding her against him. He bowed his head towards her ear and whispered to her;

“I feel like a 15 year old.” He laughed to himself, not noticing the look on her face; as if she was close to bursting into uncontrollable laughter based on Malcolm’s advice.

As the film progressed Ruth found herself becoming bolder, she placed her hand on his leg; just above his knee and squeezed it gently, he turned to look at her; her face was turned to the screen and she was avidly watching as Colin Firth threw lustful glances towards Renee Zelwegger in the movie. He laughed under his breath, how could she be so blasé about it?

Putting her to the test he allowed the hand around her shoulder to move further around her and began to gently toy with her hair she sat there, still not acknowledging his movement; just glaring at the screen in front of her. Unbeknownst to him she was leaping for joy inside, waiting to see what his next move would be. He allowed his hand to drop towards her neck and inhaled as he began to gently caress the soft, white skin on her neck. Her resolve began to crumble as she felt his hands on her skin, and she gripped his leg firmly, sweeping her hand up his thigh when she felt him tremble underneath her hand.

“What exactly did Malcolm say to you?” He laughed down her ear.

“Why are you thinking about Malcolm?” He nodded grinning and laughing into her ear softly.

“I’ll have to debrief him tomorrow.” She bit her lip to stop the laughter.

“You’ll be doing nothing of the sort.”

He moved her hair behind her ear and brushed his lips across her cheek and placed a soft kiss on her temple. She couldn’t help but smile as she felt those lips against her; she turned into him and wrapped her arms over him nestling her head on his shoulder.

“Now, stop distracting me, I’m trying to watch this.” He breathed into her hair. She scoffed and continued on with watching the film.

As the lights came back up they both reflexively squinted their eyes, Ruth sat up and stretched as Harry searched behind him for his jacket, upon finding it he turned abruptly and tipped the best part of £8 worth of sweets across the floor. Giggling Ruth grabbed his hand and led him out of the theatre.

“I’ve had a brilliant night Ruth.”

“Me too.” She glanced up at him and wrapped her arms around his waist.

“You know we could always have a drink before we leave.” She mumbled the words into his shirt, looking up at him in an adoring fashion as she finished. He smiled back and smoothed her hair with his hands.

“That would be perfect.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2010, 08:02 PM
RE: Friendly Advice - Part 2
Squeeee!!! Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Haha, I couldn't resist writing the fluff!
10-02-2010, 08:06 PM
"What's in them? Cocaine?" -- loved that line!! Malcolm to the rescue, however unknowingly. We need more of Ruth taking the initiative, if that's what's gonna' get them together. Really nice, fluffy piece.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Loved the cocaine line too. Good enjoyable reading.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Great stuff, I hope we'll be getting some more chapters.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
04-04-2010, 09:27 AM
The cocaine line make me laugh out loud. So very Harry!!

Well done.

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."