Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fiona - friend or foe?
24-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Fiona - friend or foe?
I have noticed that both in the re-watch threads and also in the 'Adam's women thread (It may not actually be called that)' that Fiona is one of those people on the show who elicits strong reactions. People tend to either love or hate her.

I thought I'd start this thread so we can talk about in more depth than what we are doing on the re-watch threads.

What do you think? I would like to warn people that I've kept this thread open to people who might not have seen later seasons, so please make sure anything after season *3* is tagged with the appropriate season spoiler. (It's season 3 not season 1 because obviously Fiona wasn't in earlier seasons.)

To make a spoiler tag for a season specifically, use the following:

[spoiler=season3] insert text and then follow it with the usual ending for the tag. /spoiler in brackets.

Discuss!

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 06:03 AM
RE: Fiona - friend or foe?
I never warmed to Fiona. She just seemed so bland and didn't seem to have any passion for the job.
24-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I like Fiona as a character and would have enjoyed it if she had just been another spook. But I didn't like her relationship with Adam it was just too intense and unbelievable.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright
24-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I didn't particularly care one way or another about Fiona. Agree with Allanah that she was very bland.

What I didn't find believable, though, was a husband and wife working on the same team. Too many opportunities for missions to be compromised by one worrying about the other at the expense of other team members or the mission objective.

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
25-04-2010, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2010 10:54 AM by Tea Lady.)
I liked Fiona as a character. She was a lot more interesting to watch on screen that some of the other officers we have just had thrown at us
Series 6 Spoiler: show
like Ben !
She is very attractive and I am glad she is on our side. Adam also being a pretty boy, I can see why they are together but they are far too happy and loving for me. I am sure there are some couples out there who are like that, but for me, working together puts all sorts of strains on a private relationship and I cant see them being that happy if this was real life.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
25-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I liked Fiona's character and I thought the idea of having married spooks was interesting, but I was never very enamored about the way Olga S. played her -- just didn't think she and RPJ worked together on screen. Somehow she came across as way too glamourous and hard-edged.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
25-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I did like her and especially her back story with Adam, which probably explains why they do have such a good relationship they've been through such a lot as a team. I think her introduction gave a bad first impression - to me she seemed smug and one dimensional really but I think her character grew and developed well - particularly in 3.10. What I loved about Fiona was that she was so sleek stylish and effortlessly so and I thought she was particularly good undercover. My favourite aspect of Fiona and Adam was when they one or the other was undercover and you could tell the other was worried sick but not wanting to show it. Wes also developed Fiona's character when she spoke about her guilt about the world they were bringing him up in.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2010, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2010 03:12 PM by JHyde.)
It's an interesting point a few of you have made about how unbelievable she and Adam seemed together. This is something I have not thought about (not being married myself) but I just think that intensity is in keeping with who they are on the show. Adam is a very intense person behind his 'let's see how it all crinkles out' demeanour and Fiona has always struck me as a very passionate person - I disagree with those who characterize her as bland.

I always think about what Adam says in that wonderfully written scene with Carmen Joyce in 3.1 - that it's like being locked in a room together, working for the Services. Carmen rejoins by saying it can be so intimate. I'm sure we've talked about this elsewhere on the forum at various times, that is, does being in a relationship and doing the same sort of dangerous work bring about this sort of 'intimacy' as Carmen puts it?

I do find it interesting that some people who don't like Fiona are crazy about Adam and that surprises me more, I think. It's also interesting to note that both on here and on 'Adam's women' thread people have trouble talking *just* about Fiona.

25-04-2010, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2010 05:06 PM by JHyde.)
I don't think Fiona was meant to be a "just" -- she was introduced as Adam's wife and the character's whole raison d'etre was to be part of that couple, whereas Adam did have a life beyond Fiona. Maybe that's why her character didn't work for me.
Series season6 Spoiler: show
[Reminds me a lot of Ben, who had no real purpose once he wasn't attached to Jo anymore.]

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
25-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Or Sam for that matter. Be careful of spoilers guys!