Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
7/7 Inquest into MI5 Failings
21-05-2010, 01:54 PM
7/7 Inquest into MI5 Failings
There's going to be another inquest into the 7/7 bombings, examining MI5's role and why they failed to stop the attacks after witnessing the ringleader meeting a known terror suspect prior to the attacks.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8696179.stm

Thought this would make good talking, as it involves "Spooks" in real life again. Do you think all the blame can be place at MI5's door?

Sig & Av Guidelines | Rules | Spoiler Policy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2010, 02:18 PM
RE: 7/7 Inquest into MI5 Failings
Lady Hallett earlier explained in court that the inquests..., would include the "alleged intelligence failings and the immediate aftermath of the bombings".

Sounds kind of familiar to something that is going on over here as well regarding the recent van bomb attempt by Faisal Shazaad in Times Square. The FBI is under a very hot microscope right now. I don't think we can lay the blame at the door of the security services - they are bound to miss a connection somewhere. I go back to Adams line to the widow during Zoe's trial: You can questions our methods. We do all the time. Just don't question our motives.

I would wonder if the show colors the public's reaction to the inquest a bit? How familiar is this in regards to Spooks/MI5? Because I would agree now.

However, lawyers for MI5 have argued this evidence would give al-Qaeda an "invaluable weapon" and should not be disclosed.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet [Spooks];
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

~Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet
Find all posts by this user
21-05-2010, 07:59 PM
It's a rather perverse decision by the court, particularly as the Intelligence and Security Committee published a comprehensive report "Could 7/7 Have Been Prevented?" which basically said 'no, if couldn't'.

Makes fascinating reading actually and is certainly worth a read: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/21...review.pdf

It's not been a good week for the security services: the Coalition Government's document issued yesterday also has a few things to say about them...

I feel a coup coming on!

"Where's Harry?"
"Moving in mysterious ways."
22-05-2010, 05:27 PM
There was a line in Spooks that said something like MI5 has to be lucky every time, terrorist only have to be lucky once, which I guess is true. Unfortunately these days everybody wants to blame someone for everything that goes wrong. I think this is the same, nobody, or organisation is perfect, and mistakes happen. Just so long as they learn from their mistakes and improve.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright