Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch]
20-06-2010, 10:38 AM
zzVideo Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch]
Watch and discuss.

Main points:

- Elections time: far right wing party ideology.
- Adam and Ruth in the field.
- Harry's actions and interaction with Juliet.

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt"
Pactum serva
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2010, 12:47 PM
RE: Episode 3 Discussion [Rewatch]
This is the episode where Ruth pretends to be Adam's cousin or something, isn't it?

That picture of Malcolm and Colin (I think) and a barbecue is a lovely snap Tongue

[Image: 705-roslucas-sig.jpg]
Av & sig by TygerBright, using my screencaps Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-06-2010, 03:20 PM
This episode benefits from a number of outstanding guest performances in my opinion. The British Way MP, Moran and the gay MP, Perry, all deliver fantastic performances. Even Auntie May was good.

So for the second case in a row Ruth is out in the field, and for the second time she does it brilliantly. Harry is right, she really is a born spook.

I also really enjoy Zaf's dirty tricks campaign - painting the guy's door, the all-night car alarm, switching his groceries, cutting his water, etc. It's genius.

It also addresses an interesting question: should the Intelligence services interfere in the democratic process like they do here? If the majority of the people actually support a far right party, no matter how despicable their policies are to the rest of us, do the majority not have the right to see their party in power? I think that unless there is clear evidence of crimes being committed, it should not be done. Harry's comment at the end of the episode is very true, as long as serious social issues such as housing remain unaddressed, the situation will remain ripe for far right politicians to play on the fears and disillusionment of the population.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
20-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree with Silktie - this was an episode I felt very iffy about in terms of interfering with the democratic process. I enjoyed the fisticuffs between Harry and Juliet over how to deal with The British Way - some of my favourite scenes of the episode.

'Shall I hit him again, Adam?' With that line, Ruth makes up for falling asleep on Professor watch in the previous episode.

I like this episode, but it's probably one of the weaker episodes of a very strong season.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
20-06-2010, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2010 09:31 PM by Aria.)
A good episode with some excellent performances. I especially liked Rupert Graves, he seemed very plausible and suitably smarmy as William Sampson M.P. I liked how Fiona was able to shine and manipulate, her scene with Harry and Perry when they were blackmailing him was brilliant as was the scene on the Grid when she's telling Harry that Perry wants a knighthood or some other honour. Harry's "over my dead body" was awesome.

Ruth in the field was good as well and I loved how she saved Adam instead of the other way around. Her reaction when Harry said he was sending her back to GCHQ was brilliant, she seemed horrified at the prospect.

Zaf and his dirty tricks campaign was enjoyable and the scenes with Harry and Juliet were also very good, especially when she wanted to get rid of Sampson.

harry
We move on from this
It's the realisation that I make a negligible difference
Sometimes you have to give a man a chance
20-06-2010, 09:36 PM
A good episode but for some reason I always feel a little uncomfortable watching it. I think they had to interfere with the democratic process because what the British Way were advertising themselves as, would not be what the public would get in reality, once they were elected. I guess you could put that argument against any political party, but The British Way, was not the way to go about it, as Harry signalled at the end of the episode.

Sampson was just a professional politician that didn't really care about anyone but himself. He wanted to tap in quickly to a new party, that was rising quickly up the ladder, and he just latched on to it.

The scenes between Harry and Juliet were great. Harry seemed to be struggling with her authority in one scene, but then he gave her a little smile as he left the room which seemed to have the calming affect on Juliet. Harry seemed to be enjoying himself, having Juliet to spar against.

Ruth was great, and managed to go out into the field at least once without getting hurt or kidnapped but then the writers must have thought, we can't let this continue and had her abducted and shot at again. She seemed quite calm though at the end and was even singled out for praise from dear old Harry strangely.

Loved Zaf's little tricks. He was enjoying himself.

[Image: Banner106smaller.jpg]
20-06-2010, 10:56 PM
I thought this was an interesting ep as it dealt with both the political and democratic processes and how the two are sometimes at odds -- Fiona summed it up well when she talked about The British Way using the democratic process to destroy it and MI5 destroying the democratic process to save it. Some very sharp insights in the writing of that dialogue.

I really loved Harry in this ep -- using overt manipulation to put the touch on Perry Davis (with info no doubt culled from MI5's files) and then his subtle but intense tug of war with Juliet over who really has the power. Their scenes really hint at the push-pull relationship
Spoiler: show
that will develop between them for the rest of the show.
And his asking Ruth to go undercover as a GCHQ worker was great -- just the right amount of persuasion and a flirty little smile.

The guest actors in this ep were terrific -- Rupert Graves, David Threlfall and the guy who played Perry Davis were all well cast and gave wonderful performances.

Loved Zaf and his dirty tricks campaign and Fiona really made her mark here.

Not one of my favorite eps but certainly worth watching.

harry
"What is the truth?"
"Betrayal is a cancer. Let it eat your soul, not mine."
"Please tell me this isn't going where I think it's going."
21-06-2010, 06:56 AM
What this episode also did really well was give almost all cast members their moment in the sun. Harry in his scenes with Juliet, Perry, the newspaper guy and of course Ruth. Adam doing what he does best out in the field, and also some tender moments with his family. Zaf gets to do his dirty tricks, and Fiona gets to shine undercover as well. And Ruth gets to go out in the field and acquit herself with honour. It's a real team effort, which is when Spooks works best.

[Image: cheersignew.jpg]
21-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Good point, Silktie. One of the reasons I love season 4 so much is that just about everyone (with the possible exception of Zaf) gets really good storylines and there are lots of conference/Grid scenes of them working together in just about every episode.

[Image: colleagues.png]
Many thanks to Tyger for a terrific signature
21-06-2010, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2010 01:39 PM by HellsBells.)
I liked this episode, but I dislike the idea of MI5 destroying a political party (no matter what it's policies are). But the actually episode of everyone working together as a team and attacking the party on all fronts was excellent.
The bird watching scene brought back memories of sitting in bird hides trying to spot a bittern Smile.
And of course Ruth's line 'shall I hit him again' was brilliant.

Lucas 8.4: It's all about trust, isn't Harry ?.
[Image: who-trust.png]
Signature by the brilliant TygerBright